View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 pm

New Fly Rod . . . 
King of Spring

Post New Fly Rod . . .
Well, seems like the distilled addiction of turkey hunting isn't enough . . . I bought my first fly rod and I'm anxious to chase trout! I guess it's a little late this year . . .

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:37 pm
King of Spring

Never too late to try something new. Instead of trout, why not try for panfish or bass. I hear smallmouth can be a blast on a fly rod. Talk to TScott as I think he's got some experience in that type of fishing. Good luck with it. I'll stick to my baitcaster and stripers/catfish.

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:01 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Word of warning, do not go after large smallmouth with anything smaller then a 7. I broke a 5 rod on a five pound smallie :lol: I replaced it with an 8 because I'm not a huge trout fan, prefer smallies.

Good way to get some practice for trout IMO is to go after panfish. They are very fun on a fly rod and you can get lots of practice on casting (beats casting in the back yard). I prefer the wooly worm flies for panfish however any of the smaller dry flies work. Stop by Orivs or Blue Ridge fly shop, they usally have some flies on clearance and bluegills are not too picky. :wink:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

3 days before the waxing moon through the full moon (May usually best time, but June should work too).
Bead Head Nymphs...bluegills may be deeper this time of year...water very warm now down here in SC.

We caught 20+ slab bluegills and red ear sunfish last evening.
Most of the bluegills were 8" long and almost 7" wide.
The Redears were pushing 10" in many instances.
What a ball! We're eating fillets tonite. :D

"A man who insists on adherence to the facts when it comes to his hunting exploits, size of fish...abilities of his bird dog...is an untrustworthy fellow. A fine sporting liar is a gentleman & someone whose acquaintance should be cherished" R. Ruark.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:37 am
King of Spring

:shock: Now that's a mess o' big ole panfish!! Wow!

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:56 am
Longbeard

Shhhh....Don't tell anyone but my gun safe has as many fly rods in it a rifles and shotguns. I'm headed to Columbus next weekend to pick up a new drift boat. I've been hooked on the long rod for 20 plus years and it has taken me all over the world. BE CAREFUL!

2gbl

Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:01 pm