View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:24 pm

Looking for this place 
Poult

Post Looking for this place
I had a guy tell me there was a good place to go fishing out in the Glouster/Matthews area. He said it was Dragons something, but I cant remember. Has anyone heard of this place or know how to get there?

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 pm
Longbeard

You are probably looking for Dragon Run, which can also be known as Dragon Swamp on some maps. This body of water is the dividing line between Middlesex, King & Queen, and Gloucester counties. Most of the land surrounding the water is private, so you have to either get permission from the landowner or go to a public ramp, of which there are few that I know of. The areas that I fish are no more than 20 feet wide, so a canoe or a jon boat with a trolling motor is best since you may be in a hole with 10 feet or water only to go 40 yards downstream and be in 3 inches of water. The past few hurricanes have also put a lot of trees in the waterway, so this may limit how far you can go on a given stretch of water.

The spots I fish are loaded with chain pickerel. Most are in the 12-16 inch range, but you can hook into a 20-24 inch one on any given cast (the citation length for one is 24 inches). They are slimy so I also would recommend a towel to wipe your hands with, along with a good pair of needlenose pliers to get your bait back. As for tackle, I recommend carrying your bass gear and you may even want to go with medium to medium light action rods since these fish don't get huge. The baits would be the same as bass, with a majority of fish caught on red/white spoons, but spinnerbaits, minnow imitations and just about anything else that looks edible will catch them.

Hope this helps.

"Not only did turkeys originate Murphy's Law, they have rewritten several of its postulates. After what they make go wrong has gone wrong, and then gotten worse, they really get down to work and create trouble" - Tom Kelly

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:44 am