View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Catfishing: 
Longbeard

Post Catfishing:
Is it to early to start channel cat fishing in the rivers or Southwest Virginia? I'd like to start but if they are not out of their winter mode yet I don’t want to waste my time and get sick on the cold nights just before turkey season. Any input?

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:20 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Longbeard

The best catfish trip I ever had was during the end of April or first of May. I can't recall the exact time period, but do remember the trip very well! My brother and I caught 15 cats that day (not night) only one flathead, and the smallest one was about 6 pounds. The biggest was a nice channel cat that was 32" long and about 15 pounds. I don't fish much this time of year now that I have the turkey bug. I would say that the fishing should start picking up if we get some warm weather. Good Luck!

Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:57 am
Longbeard

Well turkey season is over, and its time to hit the river banks for me. I've been out about 5 times now and this cold nights have been brutal on me. Its been so cold and no even a bite yet. I was hopeing to catch the prespawn activity but either im to late or its been to cold and they have not started yet. Only thing i've reeled in has been to big snapping turtles about 15" accross the back on each. lol I guess it beats nothing at all.

Wed May 24, 2006 6:47 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

Dale and I headed to the lake on the spur of the moment last night. I have been wanting to catch some catfish for a while now and Dale obliged. The bite was pretty good even though there was about 500 boats on the lake for the fireworks and very cool temps. We hooked five and boated three. Dale had a HUGE fish take his 12 inch gizzard shad and run a long way. He set the hook but the bait popped out of the fishes mouth. The fish picked it right back up and ran again. Same thing happened. We decided we needed some bigger hooks for these bigger flatheads. I had a good one on for awhile. Could not do much with him and he finally broke the leader. First time I had tried circle hooks. I am convinced. For the ones I got in, the hook was right in the corner of the mouth every time. Here's a pic of the biggest we got in.

Thanks again Dale! Thanks Chris for letting us borrow your truck and boat!

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 am
Longbeard

Pretty good fish. WTG, Did you weight it, Looks like 25# or so.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

Post catfishing
And the fish fry is when?

Nice cat.

barry

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:04 am
King of Spring

We had a blast, no doubt. Nothing like hearing...click....click...click, click, click..cliiiiiiiccckkkkk.....Fish on! Thanks David for the invite and thanks Chris for the use of the boat and tow vehicle. Was an awesome night to be on the water. David is also is being kind, as I dropped one of his mud cats back in the water "accidentially". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:03 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:17 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

This is getting to be too much like fun. We caught six last night, all on bluegills (thanks Dale for the tip). There may be a fish fry in the immediate future :D

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:45 pm
King of Spring

Nice channels and that's one big flathead! Got to love it!

Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:31 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

OK enough guys :roll:, you are making me jealous. :evil:

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:38 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

Good deal Adam. Just don't want to "rock the boat."

My friend Brian and his six year old son Max joined me last night. Max hung in there and did great, but fell asleep on the way back to the ramp. I was bummed cause I wanted him to be in the pic, but he was out cold.... For an hour or so after we boated the fish, he could not stop talking about and looking at it. It was pretty cool. The bite had slowed a bit, but we had some good runs, caught some smaller ones and then this good one.

Adam/criggster - maybe you guys can work out a time to get up here and get after these dudes with me? Chris has been nice enough to offer his boat again. I am out of pocket for the next week but okay after that. PM me and we'll work it out.

Last edited by Big Bird on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:12 pm
Longbeard

:roll: Lord no, I was just teasing, Name is Adam nice to meet you. If I cannot catch them at least I know they are biting, feel free to keep on posting your stories. I didn't mean it the way you apparently took it, sorry...... I know its hard to read things online they can be taken the wrong way easily since its not in person and I’m not able to show the joking side of the comment, sorry again. Keep the stories coming,

Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

Big Bird has some pretty thick skin and I'm sure he's was just pickin with ya.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:38 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Thanks for the invite Big Bird. A PM is on it's way. I fished the New River the other night and the bite was slooooow. I landed the biggest cat at 24" and about 8lb. channel cat. My buddy caught a 5lb channel, a 2 lb flathead, and an 8lb flathead.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:34 pm