View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

Deer Sightings 
King of Spring

Post Deer Sightings
So far while checking on turkey poults have been seeing some potentially the development of nice bucks. Could be a good year for you deer hunters. The deer seem to be in good shape. Does are fawning and on base about 24 fawns have been found and ear tags and radio transmitter have been put on them to study thier movement and survival rate. Stats are taken also [weight] etc and compared to previous years along with the mass crops and weather.

Earl

Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Deer Sightings
Earl,

You are doing this on Quantico, right? I am surprised how much you all do for deer and turkey. Up here at APG they do as little as possible for the hunting program. They have even talked about shutting the program down. Pretty impressed you all tag deer and such. Are you involved with this stuff there? Just curious.

I have had some friends see some good bucks up this way too. I have also seen more deer this year than the last 3 combined. Could be a good fall. Also saw a hen with 11 poults several weeks ago. Might be a good spring too.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:14 am
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
Earl,

You are doing this on Quantico, right? I am surprised how much you all do for deer and turkey. Up here at APG they do as little as possible for the hunting program. They have even talked about shutting the program down. Pretty impressed you all tag deer and such. Are you involved with this stuff there? Just curious.

I have had some friends see some good bucks up this way too. I have also seen more deer this year than the last 3 combined. Could be a good fall. Also saw a hen with 11 poults several weeks ago. Might be a good spring too.

Vic

Vic,

Yes this is all done on Quantico. And yes I am involved. Here at the Q they started a Conservation Volenteer Program (CVP) that one could sign up to help out with a lot of field work for wildlife. Clearing roads, fields, help with planting and other studies. I am more involved myself with a lot of the tractor field work, helping out in the check station, clearing roads, deer, quail and turkey surveys. And currently putting out and checking duck blind boxes. Or really any odd job. Last year we started to attack the fescue problem here. One of the regular government employees got a herbicide licence to spray the fields that are fescue infested. Which we tried 50 acres last year and did they ever turn out nice with some native grasses and flowers coming back along with the wheat and clover planted. This year we are going to attack it hard.

If one signs up for this program it allows active duty, retired and civillan to check out 15 minutes before (50 hours of CVP time) others in thier time slots to go hunting. If one gets 100 hours that will allow you to check a buddy out along with you on your pass. That way both of you get to hunt the same area together. Its a good program and some very talented folks from carpentry, electrical skills and anything. It really does help the base on maintaining all recreational purposes for all. We maintain wildllife viewing areas, biking and hiking trails, boat launch ramps, archery range etc.

Earl

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:49 am
King of Spring

I think you are retired, right? Did you retire from the Corp? I would think something like that would be great for a retiree. I have about 8 years to go before I retire. When I retire, I retire. Something like this could be good to get me out of the house. I do volunteer up here but they almost don't even use us. We marked gun stands right before turkey season. I used my chainsaw to open up trails and such. Our current garison commander doesn't like us and wishes we would go away. Some of the people who Run the ranges don't like hunters either. They keep as much closed as they can. It's kind of sad. They use to have an awesome program here but one guy embezzled money and through the whole program into a tail spin. We get a new Garrison Commander soon, hoping he is better than the one we have. Just have to wait and see.

I do manage a small piece of land, 60 acres. I just put out some salt licks for antler growth and just general health of the animals. I spent an afternoon cutting deadfalls from the edge of fields so the hay guy can cut more easily. Might go over tomorrow and finish the job. Need to get the land owner's tractor out and cut some trails open and roto till a small food plot. Always things to do.

Have a great day!
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:32 am
King of Spring

Vic,

I am a retired Marine and now fully retired as of 3 years ago. I have been involved with the CVP since it started in 1987. Sorry to hear about your base CO. We have been blessed with base commanding Officers. Although it is a 3 star base the CO on the base makes things happen. And the support and things we get done here revolves around his or hers support. We have been blessed at the CG's and CO's that we have had here.
The base also has a wounded warrior program that has been recognized as the best in all military installations. We put on deer, turkey, duck, small game hunts through out the year along with fishing for them. Also any disabled hunters we can accommodate them with wheel chair access and box and lift blinds. A lot of CVPwork is geared towards them and just creating a great recreational vacility for all.

Although as you know it is a money issue today to get things done we have also been blessed with great biologists and heads in the NREAD here they and the young interns we get from VT college they all are very pro active in thier positions with a very high motivation attitude of CAN DO. The CVP is a huge benefit since it is free help so to speak as getting more done with less money.

But again it all starts with 100% support from the base CG and CO.

Hopefully maybe yourself can change the mindset there and get something implemented there.

Earl

Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 am
King of Spring

Yea, hopefully the next commander will be better. Last guy wanted to shut the entire hunting program down. I volunteer when asked. This could be a really wonderful operation but they seem to keep putting road blocks in the way.

We have a Wounded Warrior program too. Was getting pretty good then the POC at Bethesda started using the program for his benefit rather than the wounded soldiers. We have been bringing guys up for skeet and such but not much more. Such a shame. The guy running it seems to be dragging it slowly along. Not sure why. We had around 30 volunteers but they don't use us much now. Not sure why. Hopefully it too will turn around. It is also hampered by the current Garrison Commander. We can't do any programs without stupid amounts of signatures. Such a shame.
V

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:18 am