View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Shed Hunting 
Poult

Post Shed Hunting
Does anyone here spend much time looking for shed antlers? I usually combine that with some late season scouting for deer/early spring turkey scouting with mediocre success. I used to live in northern Maine, and found some moose sheds on occasion....which tend to be a little easier to see lying on the ground! I'll probably start looking in a few weeks, although I don't know that they've started dropping yet.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:38 am
King of Spring

I do a bit of shed hunting...I usually don't focus on it until late february. Some deer drop in December and I've seen bucks keep them until early April. I think the key to find sheds is to cover a lot of ground and know where ther feeding. Last year was my best so far, I found three sets of mature sheds and lots of singles from yearlings.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I have found a few in past years. I was told a good place to look is around thickits, briars, where thay hang there horns and get pulled off. Also anywhere they jump fences, downed trees, etc. on there travel routes. :?: I live next to a park where they don't allow hunting, its in city limits. Lots of big bucks. I am going to try to do some walking there and find some of these big sheds.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:11 pm
King of Spring

I found a really nice right side of a 10 ptr this evening while checking my bobcat traps in the Nat'l Forest. It is the largest shed I have ever found. Was laying in the middle of head high laurel thicket - the kind that always pulls your hat off when moving through - same principle with the bucks I guess!

Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:16 am
Longbeard

I found half a 10 pointer and half a spike around the house last week. Best way I've found to find them is to look around while doing something besides looking for them.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:24 am
FOund a nice 8 point shed this week by a ditch. Must have jumped it and it fell off. G2 is 10 3/4 and G3 is 9. I also have apic of a dead deer a guys dog drug up in his yard. Can I e-mail it to someone and they post it for everyone to enjoy. It is 28.5 inches wide!

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:39 am
Boss Gobbler

Here's the pic of the big boy PB was talking about...

Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I know this sounds unreal but my uncle works at the power company and while working this week they watched a nice 10 pointer chasing does for about 45 min. Strange Huh

Doug

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:18 am
Longbeard

Post shed hunting!!
I like the idea of the fact.. that you should hunt them while hunting something else!!. i would never be able to find them anywhere else.. but last spring.. i was hunting in some national forest and on my trek to some turkeys sounding off.. i noticed at the very very bottom of this ridge. i'm talkin really steep!! i found a skull with a set of horns on it.. it was a huge 7 point inside spread 22 inches !! would have been a huge deer.. anyways. they tend to stick out more when you arent looking for them!!.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:41 pm
Profile YIM