View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

Question, and a Congratulations!!? 
King of Spring

Post Question, and a Congratulations!!?
First off I would like to congratulate everyone who's had a successful season, also for those lacking a little hang in there early December has always been good to me.

Now for my question I've had 3 successful hunts so far between being slammed with work and making to the stand I have managed to kill 3. Two of them were does 1 weird looking 8, but every deer I shot this season has ran for water, whether it be a creek or swamp or mud hole. Do you think it's nature's coarse to go water when your wounded.

Last year I had the luck to have both my deer drop in place , but this year they're retreat towards a source of wetlands.

If one can spare a little this year and donate to hunters for the hungry that's a awesome thing. I think most butcher shops who participated do it for free as doing there part but it always helps to slip a few bills there way to.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:59 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Question, and a Congratulations!!?
First of all, congratulations on your successful hunts this year! I hope it keeps gettin better as the season progresses! To get to your observations and questions regarding a dying deer retreating to water sources, i can only answer based on personal experience, not scientific fact... Every deer that I have killed and did not drop, with the exception of a few have ran straight downhill after I pull the trigger. (Granted it was a fatal shot) And in that knowledge and personal experience, most water sources creeks, ponds, swamps,puddles of rain runoff, etc are typically at the lowest part of a property or ridge or whatever I'm hunting, meaning most deer that do run, run straight to water sources, sometimes they fall in or near it, and some make it around or through it, and up another ridgr depending on the shot or adrenaline of the deer. Now whether there is reasonable science or another reason they run to water, i don't know, but that is just my thoughts or observation about it. Dont know if this helps or not, but happy hunting and keep on knocking them down!

Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:56 pm
Poult

Post Re: Question, and a Congratulations!!?
Congratulations! You do well out of it.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 am
Profile WWW