View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 am

Can anyone answer this for me 
King of Spring

Post Can anyone answer this for me
Most of yall know we ( me ,Zach and some friends) go up to GWNF every Nov. for a week of hunting and camping. This year year we are hoping to go the last week of muzzleloader.

Every year I sit down and read through the regulations and I'd never fails. It seems there always some kind of exception when it comes to hunting in the National Forest. Take for example west of the Blue Ridge you can kill a doe all Muzzleloader season with the exception of the National Forest. You can kill one on the first Saturday but that's it. Another example you can hunt coyotes Statewide on public or private land both day and night but not on the National Forest only during the day. I don't understand why they do this. Can someone explain it to me. It always seems like you can do things on public land or privately in but when it comes to the National Forest you can't do it.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:24 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Can anyone answer this for me
The deer herd is severely reduced on NF lands in recent years...hence the doe restrictions.

Coyote hunting at night is prohibited in order to prevent poaching on NF lands, which has been a chronic problem in the past.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

With what Neill said about poaching I have to agree with being Federal land and all. Example is at the Q we have the same regulations, No hunting on Sunday and can only shoot yotes during hunting seasons and day time.

Not making excuses but my thoughts below.

We have 3 Federal game wardens at the Q. Even there through out the year they are strapped with other duties, i.e. going and giving firearm classes in various states, helping out with State Wardens, investigations, and the limited budget they are on. Although starting in Sept. through end of Jan. They do patrol the base in a shift pattern 7 days a week. At the end of hunting season one can see the stress they are under. Just a lack of personnel and budget (Fed money and the budget seems to get smaller every year). I am sure it is the same or worse on the NF.

Also in consideration may be that during the non hunting season the NF and Federal land is used for other outdoor activity's by others. I do know that the State gets a lot of e-mails about spring gobbler season hunting since that is the time a lot of non-hunters start their outdoor activity's. I have been in the game check station and have heard folks ask what is in season and why.

Earl

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:43 am
Poult

VBH,

I just wanted to offer some clarification on your message. If you look at p. 37 of the current VA Hunting digest in the lower left column, please see that you may take "Antlered deer only - no either-sex deer hunting days - On NF and Department-owned lands in all counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains" during the Early Muzzleloader Season. In most of the West of the Blue Ridge counties (21 of the 31) you are restricted to hunting antlered deer during the early muzzleloader season, and can only take deer of either sex on Nov 12. Several counties offer additional, private land, either sex deer hunting and that info is also in the same location in the digest.

NF deer populations and harvest have declined in recent decades, and many possible reasons have been suggested. The primary tool used to work towards a population objective is regulation adjustment, which in recent years has seen DGIF reduce either sex hunting opportunity in an effort to increase NF herds.

As for your example about coyote hunting I can't find anywhere in the digest that says you have restricted hours for hunting coyotes on NF lands. The only mention I found concerning coyotes and NF lands is on p. 47 and it says, "coyote hunting on NF lands and Department-owned lands is permitted from September 1 through March 10 and during the Spring turkey season." To be totally sure though on this matter, I would call the respective DGIF office in the region you want to hunt and ask to speak with someone in Law Enforcement. And if you call Verona or Marion you can ask for a biologist who might offer more insight on population trends.

And in case you were wondering, I work for the Department and sit on the digest committee so I am well aware of the fact that many read through the regs and suffer from more confusion afterwards. I've monitored this forum for a number of years and thought sending a message was a good enough reason to finally join. Hopefully, I helped answer your post and if you have additional head-scratchers just ask.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:58 am
King of Spring

Best answer I have had. You are correct, the Regs are as confusing as buying the licence this year.

The only thing I can say about the coyote hunting is it was a game warden who told me this a few years back.

Thanks for your input, been very helpful.

Tim

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:54 pm