View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

White oaks dropping in my yard 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post White oaks dropping in my yard
I just though you folks needed a deer report. I have a pretty nice buck and several does that hang out in the woods in back of my place, and they are pretty adept at finding those white oak acorns in our yard when they fall this time of year. I have seen the first ones on the ground last week and the deer have cleaned them up about every day-night since.

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:07 am
King of Spring

Post Re: White oaks dropping in my yard
I noticed a few dropping up this way too. I think some were early because of the weather. Tis the season.
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:43 am
King of Spring

Have not seen any dropping yet (and GN I have got my new glasses). The ones I noticed on the tree are really small yet and not as many as previous years. I have seen some nice size chestnut oaks, some reds on the ground though but when I opened a couple of them they were rotten.

Oh deer, there are the usual ones coming in the 2 fields out back but this year I have a couple in the back yard.

Been seeing 3 really nice bucks at the Q so far. In fact a very good fawning this year and the deer look pretty healthy this year. The last couple years the deer population has been down. But I think the population is looking good due to the heard being down and habitat reaching a better carrying capacity for the area.

Ok now that I have been talking deer I have got to go wash my mouth out with soap. :smt002

Earl

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:27 pm
King of Spring

Seeing Red, whites and chestnut oaks dropping up here at APG. Saw two long beards checking them out in one place.

What's wrong with talking deer, it's the other red meat.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:12 pm
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
Seeing Red, whites and chestnut oaks dropping up here at APG. Saw two long beards checking them out in one place.

What's wrong with talking deer, it's the other red meat.

Vic

I was trying to pull someone else string Vic, meet nothing by it, sorry. Thats why I put the eye wink smiley.

Earl

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:20 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Well Earl I don't think the deer boys and girls trust us to give them early season reports...And I can understand that. :lol:

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:00 pm
King of Spring

Sorry Earl, I was making a joke. I think the pork people once said that Pork was the other White Meat. Thought you would be old enough to remember that. :D

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 am
King of Spring

Vic wrote:
Sorry Earl, I was making a joke. I think the pork people once said that Pork was the other White Meat. Thought you would be old enough to remember that. :D

OK, got it. Joke's on me (backfired). Good laugh all around. Yes I do remember that saying and at my age remembering things from the past is a good thing, I just took it too seriously. I need to lighten up. :-D

Earl

Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:57 am
King of Spring

Mowing the fields at Habitat Improvement found the red oaks weighed down with acorns. Looks like a good crop on the seacoast this fall.

Attachment:
Acorns at the Farm.JPG
Acorns at the Farm.JPG [ 209.73 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

Just another Sunday afternoon mowing the lawn.

Attachment:
Brush Hogging web 08-28-16.jpg
Brush Hogging web 08-28-16.jpg [ 176.89 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

Attachments:
Bruch Hogging web 08-28-16.jpg
Bruch Hogging web 08-28-16.jpg [ 176.89 KiB | Viewed 4255 times ]

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com
Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Nice looking habitat fields. I see you are headed down towards the wooded point. Do you leave an edge of the taller grass next to the tree line? What year Ford you have there?

Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:24 am
King of Spring

I think most of our oaks did well this year. Saw a lot of acorns in the tops of Chestnut oaks in one place I hunted. Good for the deer. However, our soft mast didn't do well at all. Very few apples and crab apples.
Vic

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 am
Longbeard

I have observed the same as Vic. The property I hunt in Roanoke County seems to have plentiful acorns, both red and white oak, with a mediocre apple crop. Some trees are full, others are barren or have a couple of main branches producing.

Either way, the deer will be happy. Wonder if we will see one of those "tough seasons" that are predicted when good acorn crops keep deer movement minimal and concentrated in the woods when a lot of hunters are on fields.

Getting excited to get in a tree! Urban archery is open for the land I can hunt, but I am not a fan of deer hunting in this heat.

Best,
Royce

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:59 pm
King of Spring

GG,
No, I try and get as close as I can to the wood line. I am reclaiming the fields from 25 years of wood and weed invasion.

That is a New Holland tractor. It belongs to the farm. I am just the operator.

Pulled the camera cards last week. We have ten resident deer on video.

It is all about filling the freezer. NH wintahs can be kindah ruff.

:)

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:05 pm
Profile WWW