View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

it comes around, full circle!! 
King of Spring

Post it comes around, full circle!!
If you're like me, you watch this forum everyday for new exciting posts and information and stories! I always look forward to seeing what's next! Well you've probably seen some of my posts about the season, the highs and lows! The change up in archery equipment, the successes and often "where's the deer at" topics! Well, I should start tonight's post with, remember my opening day of bow season post about my miss that equaled to my best friend's kill. I was happy yet agrivated about how the season started. And then had an opportunity at a crossbow during black Friday and decided to buy it and change the game so to speak! I settled in on the rage crossbow 125 grain broadheads. And that brings me to yesterday (Friday )!

It was the first time I shot my new crossbow and it didn't disappoint! I was drilling the bullseye consistently out to 50 yards, nearly throwing the bolt through 2 targets! I was ready, and my plan as set forth one last "dance" for a Saturday last day of the deer season, bow only, evening hunt! I talked with a buddy of mine earlier in the week and he has permission to hunt a little parcel of land on the lake that is bow only, due to the amount of housing around! I guess you could say it was basically an urban archery hunt. The land and surrounding properties are overrun with deer and the landowner wants everything killed!! My best friend was obliged to help and was able to get permission for me to tag along as well! He has had success there earlier in the season and knew these deer patterns to the very "T"! He told me where they'd come from, where they'd likely walk out if they came from a particular direction, he knew everything! Well, today, (Saturday ) came along and our plan was in motion! I met my friend at 1430 hrs and we got to the land at about 3 ish. We decided we were staying together because he'd told me his goal was to get me a deer, he didn't care about himself! We had a deal last spring when I helped him kill his first spring turkey that he was going to help me get my first bow kill! So we talked and joked and reminisced about the season that was rapidly coming to a close and like clockwork, at about 1645hrs we see the first deer start heading our way! 9 deer ( which is double the amount of deer I've seen total all year btw) walked literally every single step he told me they'd make! My friend was behind me with the rangefinder and telling me the yardages almost every step! They all filtered out where they were supposed to, but they hung up at 65 to 70 yards! One came in at 55 and I had just decided to shoot when the deer turned away at the last second! One deer started walking away and out of sight and I needed to make a decision quickly because I knew my opportunity was fading quickly! Did I want to try longer shot that I wasn't quite comfortable with and hope for the best, or let them go..?? As I was pondering what to do, one of the does broke away and I knew my opportunity was now or never! Without having to ask, my buddy said 52, 50, 49, 48, 49, 48, 47..... are you going to shoot.... I didn't hear that part as I was settling in my target! He bleated with his mouth to get her to stop, and she and all 8 others looked up at us. And in one instance, I see my bolt gliding through the air, and then WHACK! !!!!!! The bolt found its mark settled right behind the shoulder and I knew I had just shot my first archery deer in 29 years of hunting!!! (First year seriously bowhunting ) I saw the blood fly the moment the bolt hit and I knew she was done after stumbling only 15 yards! I looked over at my friend and he was jumping up and down going crazy celebrating my first bow kill with me!!!!
So like I said, it comes around full circle, 13 years ago, I was by his side on his first ever bow kill! This year to open the entire 2015/2016 deer season, we were together when he killed that little buck on opening day, and today he was with me when I killed my first bow kill on the very last 30 minutes of the season!!! And what a season it has been! It's been tough, every day I hunted it was either too windy, rainy or hot. But I was fortunate to kill a deer with my muzzleloader, my rifle, and my brand new crossbow! And even a coyote during rifle season to boot!! So, as tough as it was, I'm so very thankful and blessed that God has given me the ability and freedom to do what I love so much and enjoy His Creation! I'm blessed beyond measure! And I'm so thankful for each moment I get to hunt! Thanks for reading my story! I'm still smiling from ear to ear!!!! It's not the biggest deer ever, but it's still a trophy in my book and I will always remember this day for the rest of my life!!!

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:45 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: it comes around, full circle!!
Congrats! I know its been a tough season for you.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:40 pm
King of Spring

There's only one first. Mega Congrats! Sometimes, its the trials and tribulations that make the success all that more enjoyable. If it were easy, everyone would do it, right? Way to keep after them!

Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:18 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Congratulations on the first and great shot. You will always remember the firsts. Perseverance, a true sign of a dedicated hunter/outdoorsman.

Earl

Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:18 am