View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm

Looks Like I May Need Some Help 
Longbeard

Post Looks Like I May Need Some Help
After a long and storied history in Bluefield, it now appears that Norfolk Southern will strip its operations there to next to nothing. Blame it on Obama, low natural gas prices, EPA, etc., but the result is that the coal business is terrible and no rebound seems forthcoming. That being said, it appears likely that I will be moving to the Roanoke area to work there. Here's where y'all come in. I am considering residence somewhere east/southeast of Roanoke. Probably in the Goodview, Moneta, Hardy, Rocky Mount type areas. Ideally for me would be 30 min. to Roanoke, 30 min. to Smith Mountain Lake (GN read stripers). Any insight regarding good neighborhoods, schools, etc. would be great from those living in those areas. My wife is a Speech Therapist and will be looking for work as well, hopefully in the schools, if anybody has a lead. Thank you all.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:53 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Looks Like I May Need Some Help
Sorry to hear about your circumstance. I hope you will like your new home area. I grew up east of Bedford, close to the areas you are speaking of but I am not greatly familiar with them.

If schools are important and you want to keep your kids in public schools, I would push a little further east to the Jefferson Forest District. You can probably find something off 460 that doesn't push you too much further from the lake or Roanoke than what your goal is. Best of luck.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure there is No live game left in Goodview. :o And l know why.

And no trout for striper bait. in smith mountain either. However if you have a 12 -13 year daughter who can knock a softball a country mile l know somebody who might help you out .

You now l am trying to make poor humor out of a very sad situation. Really sad what has happened to southern Appalachia businesses which have thrived on natural resources and its support businesses for 150 years. Hate you have to leave, but hundreds more are in the same shape, as you well know. Ironically some of the coal businesses that are left can't even get coal cars from the railroads, as those routes are no longer a priority compared to western coal routes and low volumes on eastern routes. Bet of luck to you and your family wherever you end up..

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:43 pm
Longbeard

Yeah, I figured I may have to take my search for game underwater. Actually, I have a very gracious friend in the area that owns a lot of land so I'm lucky on the terrestrial side of things. No 12-13 year olds, but I have a 9 year old for which I'll have to find a gymnastics gym and horseback riding stable.

Folks outside the region have no idea just how dire things are in the southern Appalachian coalfields. I really want to find a way to hang on, but the economic slide is so severe I hate not to jump on the first thing out of here.

Thanks for the comments.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 pm
Jake

I'd look at Franklin County. I live between Rocky Mount and Callaway and love it out here. 20 minutes to SML, 15 minutes to Philpott, and 10 minutes into Rocky Mount which has about everything we need. We are also only 20 minutes out of Roanoke, but add 10-15 minutes of Roanoke traffic time to reach any destination once off the highway. Our taxes are low, our land is nice, roads are good, no traffic, and very nice people. Franklin County just bought 540 acres for an industrial site along 220, just south of Boones Mill, so it looks like we will be getting some industry soon. Compared to Roanoke and Bedford county, our land and home prices are a bargain. I am on the west side of 220. The east side of 220 offers pretty much the same, but you are closer to SML and further from Philpott then.

I have to travel 460 towards Bedford daily for work, and it is BRUTAL. The traffic is horrendous at all times, and has only gotten worse over the past few years. If you settle east of the lake or Roanoke, you will end up traveling 460 to go just about anywhere.

I don't have a problem with Franklin County schools, and I don't know anything about the surrounding schools.

The hunting is pretty good near me, for just about everything. The fishing is great.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:16 am
Boss Gobbler

Pretty much what everyone else said... I'm a Franklin Co native (Hardy) but currently live in Goodview. We live on the lake and this past summer probably makes about 4-5 years in a row that we haven't been on the water (sans an occasional duck hunt). Sold all the boats. We look at it everyday and love it, just don't have time for it right now. Watch people catch stripers right off the back deck and just enjoy the view.

Schools are OK (we absolutely loved Goodview Elementary for Abby). She's moved on to Staunton River Middle and so far, so good. I went to Burnt Chimney when I was growing up and that's been so long ago I'm not even sure the school is standing. (kidding... I think).

460 closer into Roanoke is horrible, but there are multiple ways and shortcuts to avoid most of the mess. Roanoke traffic overall is very mild compared to most places, but maybe not Bluefield. :)

The area that SB is talking about is very nice and pretty centrally located. Boones Mill Elementary, if I remember correctly, is praised highly and a good school. I don't know much about Windy Gap Elementary but haven't heard anything bad (Hardy area).

Abby did gymnastics for a few years before deciding her legs were way too long for that. She did that at Roanoke Academy of Gymnastics near Tanglewood Mall. You won't have a problem finding horse people!

Outdoor opportunities abound anywhere close to Roanoke.

Best of luck and PM (or email) me if you need anything else... freddym@vaturkey.com

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

You guys are great. Thanks.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:13 pm
Jake

Turkeycock WMA is less than 2 hours south of Roanoke and best kept secret in the VA WMA system.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:29 pm
Longbeard

We made a weekend trip through the area a couple of weeks ago. We spent a lot of time in Franklin County and really liked what we saw. We ended up out in the country around some really nice dairy farms. Right now we have pretty much identified the area west of the lake, east of 220 and north of 40 as our target. As much as I loved the area there, I've come to realize I'm selling an outdoorsman's/small farmer's dream here. :( It hasn't helped that our deer herd looks as good as ever here and I killed two 8 pointers out of my fields this year, including a real dandy that fell in the last 15 minutes of the season a few weeks ago.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 pm
Longbeard

Well, we're here. We ended up on Smith Mountain Lake in Becky's Creek, just off the water. Things have been great, and the family is settling in. Things will get greater next week when I pick up the new boat and the stripers start flying over the sides! Been hunting a little over in Bedford County and have some goodunz on film there. Drop me a message if any of y'all live in the area. It would be good to meet a few new outdoor buddies. In the mean time, y'all kill something! I check everyday expecting to see some good stories on here.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:49 pm
Boss Gobbler

Glad to see you made it down here. Will be good to have another swva boy in the neighborhood :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:38 pm
Profile WWW