View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

hunting equipment advice? 
King of Spring

Post hunting equipment advice?
First year of hunting from treestands is about complete, with mixed emotions! I enjoyed the view and the advantages that came with being perched up in a tree! However, I did not like the wind blowing the tree lol!!! I was secured to the tree good so I wasn't too worried, I felt safe and relatively comfortable! I want to take it to the next level and purchase a climber! I hunt this property with a friend of mine and it's a clearcut that is growing back up. Sitting down low on the ground isn't good enough and my buddy begged me to use his climber to get elevated, I wasn't ready but I am now and looking for a climber for big guys! Any suggestions! !

Secondly, bow hunting just didn't pan out! I never felt comfortable enough to take a shot past 20 yards and even then I doubted myself! Long story short, I'm going back to a crossbow! I found a smoking deal on a crossbow during black Friday and jumped on it!! So that said, all crossbow users, what is your recommendation for broaheads? Brand, weight, mechanical/fixed, what shoots the closest to field points?

Thanks in advance!

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:11 pm
Poult

Post Re: hunting equipment advice?
Congrats on making the adjustment to start hunting from a treestand, I for one have a very difficult time hunting from the ground, so I am always in a tree stand of somesort if I'm gonna be deer hunting. As far as the tree moving in the wind it's something you kind of get used to in my opinion. I've only owned one climber in the 15 years I've been hunting and its made by Summit, the model is "cobra" I believe, they no longer make it. It is gonna take a lot of convincing to get me to try another brand of climber besides a Summit, but that is my opinion. My dad is the same, he has a viper, which I will recommend to you, because it has a shooting bar/ climbing bar that wraps around the top part of the stand which will make you feel more safer, plus it's nice to be able to rest your crossbow, or your gun across while shooting. Our climbers have the old climbing system on them, which I love, the new ones have the "stir-ups", on them which I think make it a little awkward to climb with. Again, my opinion. I know Summit makes a Viper XL" I believe and a "Goliath" which are bigger stands, my dad is about 6'2 and 240 lbs I'd say and he hunts from his regular Viper with ease. The stands are pretty light and easy to setup and climb with, again in my opinion, and a lot of trees you climb in with the Summit stand really likes to bite into them, which will make you feel safer to.

Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:33 pm
Longbeard

Summit makes a great stand and has a long list of happy customers. They do make the "Goliath" that is made roomy for those wanting more space or bigger fellas. I currently use the Viper and like it a lot. Light and versatile. I have also used my father's Tree Walker. That stand is rock solid on a tree and climbing as it uses screw spikes instead of "teeth" like the summits and a lot of other stands. It is bit longer providing a bigger platform. There are plenty of other makes and models out there and many will have preferences for one or another. Really comes down to your comfort level. If you aren't comfortable climbing or comfortable sitting then you won't use it.

One thing you will enjoy about a climber is that they tend to cradle you a bit more and allow for a more secure feeling when sitting. It can take a little getting used to to climb depending on your level of comfort. I highly recommend practicing with it well before you hit the woods. I would also recommend using stabilizer straps like the ones from Third Hand Archery. They "lock" the top part to the bottom part of the stand so it doesn't move if you bump it. I can actually lean on the upper part of my stand in order to shoot in those funky angles. Really add to my feelings of security up in the tree.

And, of course, always wear a safety harness. Always.

Can't say much for broadheads with crossbows. It is much more about shot placement than the broadhead you use. My father uses 1" or 1 1/4" Muzzy three blades from his. They kill deer. A mechanical might give you a bigger wound but are rarely able to be used again. Again, a lot about preference. It is the nature of hunters these days to be gear heads and worry much more about things like this than we need to. We tend to rely on equipment to overcome lapses in preparation/skill. Practice with your bow and with your broadheads at ranges you expect to shoot deer and never take shots that don't feel comfortable.

Best of luck!
Royce

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:27 pm
King of Spring

Thanks guys for the input!

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:32 pm
King of Spring

I have a viper and really like it if the hike isn't too long, it's light but it's kind of bulky on the back, but very comfortable and I feel safe snoozing in it. If your hunting public land with long hikes in and out you might look for a stand that has a smaller profile on your back, wolf make some good ones for this.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 am
King of Spring

Can't go wrong with a Summit. Have used one for 12 years and only thing I have had to do is replace the heat shrink around the cables. No big deal. If you are looking to buy something like that go to the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg PA and get it. You can get pretty good deals there. Most of the climbers out there are pretty good. I concur with always, always using a safety harness. Had to rescue a guy that didn't, not cool. The summit Goliath is a big guy stand. I use a Viper and it works for me. Vipers rated to 300 lbs and Goliath 350 I think. Make sure you get the all aluminum stand. They make steel but they weigh 30 pounds instead of 20. Big difference on those long walks.

As for broadheads, any good fixed or Crossbow certified expandable works well. I used Muzzy 3 blades for years. Since I now hunt near some homes I have shifted to expandables to try and get faster kills. I have tried 3 heads now and they all work. I started with the NAP Blood Runner. I like the idea but the spring in the head is pretty tough and doesn't seem to allow the broadhead to open fully. It uses spring tension versus tissue penetration. It is supposed to open to 2" but the holes I saw were more like its closed size of 1 1/8". Still lethal but not my objective.

Next I tried the Rage 2". They work well but still didn't seem to drop deer any faster than my Muzzy's. They do cause a 2" cut but that is also only 2 blades. Muzzy is 1 1/8" but 3 blades. Hemorrhage works with both and they both seemed to kill about the same. Rage's might be slightly more accurate but also cost $40 for 3. Yikes.

Another friend recommended Grimm Reapers. I have only shot 1 or 2 deer with these but they work pretty well. Field point accurate, 1 1/2" cut 3 blade. The deer seemed to drop a little faster, big hole. I am going to stick with these for now. I can usually kill 3 or 4 deer with the same head as long as I resharpen. I bought these online last year for around $25 for 3. Not a great price but do able.

One of the other heads I have been looking at is the Toxic. It is basically a 6 blade that allows for 3 kind of tubular cuts. The only thing I didn't like about them was the cutting edges didn't seem very sharp. I am a little nutty about having razor sharp blades. If they are a little dull they might push an artery aside rather than cut it. That kind of defeats the purpose. I have also heard good things about Slick Tricks. One bud says they are scary sharp. It is a small fixed blade.

All will kill deer as long as you put them in the boiler. Enjoy the new experience. I do feel safer in climbers then most other stands. The stand goes with you the whole way up and down. Hope you find a stand you like!
Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:45 am