View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 am

Florida ? 
King of Spring

Post Florida ?
Is anybody getting to be as sick of this warm weather as I am. Almost feels like I'm in Florida hunting. I think as far as weather is concerned this has been a warm ml season and by the way it looks it isn't going to be getting any better. I seen where Monday was supposed to cool down a little bit, looking ahead it still going to be in the 60s almost 70s next week as well. With the weather being so warm what's deer activities been like in your area were I've been hunting it's been slow at best. Only deer I've seen has been right at the edge of shooting light. Seems like all my buddy's say they've seen chasing full rut, it just seems like the rut is slow in my part of the world.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:23 pm
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Florida ?
I've seen some early signs of the rut but it's not going full bore at all. Been watching does and fawns and some bucks still by themselves. Have seen some smaller bucks harassing some does, but not very serious about it. Friend killed a nice 11 pointer Tuesday evening and his hocked weren't even wet, much less dark. Best is still yet to come in my part of the world I think.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:18 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Saw two medium bucks going at it pretty good off route 7 in Clarke County last week. I think things are getting warmer, but it certainly seems as if the rut is going to be later this year, which works for me. The farm I normally hunt doesn't allow muzzleloader hunting. Hence next Saturday's rifle opener is the first time I'll get into the field to chase some venison.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:03 pm
Longbeard

Last Friday (10/30) in Powhatan Co. I bumped a doe and a wide racked buck rolled out with her. Never left her tail as they both ran across the field. Saw the first scrape and rubs there, as well, which is beyond late for that farm. Sunday (11/1) heard tending grunts in one of the ditches as I walked into the field before light and had a doe and buck come sneaking in behind me before rolling out again. Might have been the same buck and/or same doe. Hard telling. Had a small six come across the field with a cruising look to him. I would say things are moving there.

Hunted Caroline Co. on Halloween and found several fresh scrapes in a couple different scrape lines. Buddy killed a wide 5 that came in with a smaller buck. No color to the tarsals. Same buddy killed a 22.75" wide 7 3.5 yr old in the same area that was just barely getting color to the tarsals.

Drove the BRP from Floyd to Roanoke yesterday and there were plenty of does out at 3:30. Plenty of does still hanging out with fawns, too.

I would definitely say things are about to start. With the cold front coming in I would say that Saturday could flip the switch and get things going for a few days. I might be taking my rutcation to see what its all about.

Nov. 4 seemed to be the day for bucks to die. Saw a lot of pictures on Facebook of big bucks killed that day. If there is any doubt that VA is a big buck state, check out the pictures posted on some of the FB pages. Will blow your mind. Or just take a look at Freddy's man cave :smt003

Good luck and happy hunting!
Royce

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:31 pm
King of Spring

Been real slow where I have been hunting in Powhatan until Yesterday.. finally seeing some chasing going on and some cruising.. I passed a 16 inch wide 8 point this morning 11/12 .. he was young .. short tines .. wish I could have stayed up all day today, but had to get to work :(

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:26 pm