View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 am

deer season opener! ! 
King of Spring

Post deer season opener! !
Here's how my day went!

Sat in rain all day.. saw 6 deer...
This evening had one present a shot at 25 yards... I shot at it with 30 yard pin.. arrow sails over deers back...
Runs toward my buddy.. my buddy arrows him!!!

Dead deer!

Ricky 0
Deer 1

Buddy 1
Deer 0!
That's just the way it is! I'm happy for my best friend, but agrivated that I blew my chance at my first bow kill!

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:47 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: deer season opener! !
Congrats to your buddy! And no shame, Ricky. None, whatsoever. Its part of the game.

My cousin handed me his cursed bow four years ago. He had consecutively hit and lost 11 deer with it. Eleven. Talk about frustration? He was well beyond that. It was my first bow and I was determined to break that curse. Practiced and practiced. Knew my comfort range. Season came and had a doe at 10 yards one evening. Shot, hit her high, and searched for a couple hours. Only spot of blood I found was beside the arrow that had fallen (I think she pulled it out) 100 yards from the hit. Never found her.

I broke the curse the following season with a little 7 point. Perfect double lung shot in the last moments of light. Never felt better about recovering a deer.

Keep at it, Ricky! You got a shot at a deer! I've only killed two with a bow, and it is a scary thing to draw on one with nerves going and the amount of shaking that ensues. Gotta put a few more on the ground to gain the comfort and confidence that you see on TV, where they still miss and hit badly ALL THE TIME!

Happy hunting!
Royce

Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:17 pm
Jake

Nice work and congrats to both of you, especially considering what is probably the rottenest statewide opening day weather I can remember. Your arrow probably got blown off course by the wind!

You may not have noticed, but yours is the only "opening day" post on the entire board. Half the guys in my club that actually went in the woods got nothing but soaked to the bone & hit in the head with dead limbs. The other half, including me, just stayed in the cabin and watched football and drank.

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:29 pm
King of Spring

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I feel better after "licking my wounds" last night! I needed the encouragement as I considered pulling the crossbow back out!! I'm gonna keep at it! I know I'm a descent enough shooter to get it done! Just got to relax and take that breath! And make sure I have my rangefinder handy! ;)

Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:04 pm
Longbeard

That rangefinder is a wonderful tool. Don't wait for the deer to show itself to use it, either. Range some landmarks as soon as you get in the tree/blind and you won't have to make that extra movement when the moment comes to take a shot.

Be confident with the shot, too. I find it very hard to push my range boundaries especially when the nerves of the moment kick in. If it feels a little too far, its too far. You may kick yourself for passing that shot, but its a whole lot better than wounding an animal.

Don't stop practicing. Says the guy who has shot his bow once this year :roll: :oops: . Guess thats what happens when you buy a house in September...

Good luck!
Royce

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:12 pm
King of Spring

I ac tually did some shooting today! I'm still on target! So I know it was all me!! I appreciate the words friend! And congrats in the house by the way! I hope you can get out there soon ( if u haven't yet)! The deer are moving pretty good! I can't get back out till Saturday! But I'm ready!

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:18 pm
Longbeard

Good deal! Thank you, sir! I am finally going to get out tomorrow evening, I hope. Pick up on some pre-front action, maybe. Saturday ought to be even better after the front goes through! If everything plays out right I could be out there then, myself.

Good luck! Let us know how you do!

Best,
Royce

Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:42 pm