View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 am

Deer Urine 
King of Spring

Post Deer Urine
I heard last year that they where deciding to make using deer urine illegal this season. When flipping through the new regulations book I seen it was so this year. I'm not sure everyone's opinions on this topic but for me I sure do or did like using a doe in heat product I think they work well at certain times of the season. It's going to be hard this year going without it but it's something I'll have to work past. I wonder if cover scents are still allowed fox and raccoon urine or could they also be the cause of cwd?? I guess whatever there reason behind it is a good one I do know they'll probably be a few tickets written this season of people still using some kind of deer urine. My dad's has always been the one to cut the tarsal gland and use it during season but what I read you weren't allowed to do that as well. I wonder those who deer hunt on here yall opinions on this topic.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:45 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Deer Urine
It is my understanding they are concerned about CWD being passed on in urine. Someone told me the prions are carried in body fluids and maybe this will help stop the spread of the disease.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:11 pm
King of Spring

I'm pretty sure you can still use Synthetic deer urine like Tinks, Code Blue, ETC. but not REAL deer urine like Tarsal Glands or actually getting it directly from the deer.

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:24 pm
Longbeard

There has been a growing concern about CWD across the country as the number of cases has grown. I know for sure that last year (and I believe the year before) DGIF asked hunters in the regs book not to use natural deer urines because of the possibility of CWD transfer. This year the DGIF Board made it a law.

The problem with this law is enforcability. The DGIF cannot stop the sale of natural deer urines, so you will still see them on the shelves even though they are illegal to use. I followed forums and Facebook when the law was passed and there was a pretty big uproar over this one. Seems people don't like being told what they can and cannot do (weird, I know). But I feel this law is justified. We don't know much about CWD, but what we do know is that it is transmitted by prions through bodily fluids and can remain in the environment for an unknown length of time. We also know that it is found most prevalently in captive deer herds, which is where natural deer urines are bottled. With the best method of positive diagnosis being a test of brain tissue from a dead animal, it is tough (and super expensive) to test for CWD in the bottled urines prior to shipment to stores.

GOBLN2: I would double check that. I don't know if Tinks or Code Blue makes synthetics (I just don't use scents much so I don't know the market) but I do know that they are probably the most popular providers of natural deer urine. Read the bottle before you purchase to save yourself the hastle. All synthetics are still legal to use as are natural non-cervid scents like coon, fox, etc.

Happy hunting, fellas!
Royce

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:40 am
Jake

Squoose wrote:
There has been a growing concern about CWD across the country as the number of cases has grown. I know for sure that last year (and I believe the year before) DGIF asked hunters in the regs book not to use natural deer urines because of the possibility of CWD transfer. This year the DGIF Board made it a law.

The problem with this law is enforcability. The DGIF cannot stop the sale of natural deer urines, so you will still see them on the shelves even though they are illegal to use. I followed forums and Facebook when the law was passed and there was a pretty big uproar over this one. Seems people don't like being told what they can and cannot do (weird, I know). But I feel this law is justified. We don't know much about CWD, but what we do know is that it is transmitted by prions through bodily fluids and can remain in the environment for an unknown length of time. We also know that it is found most prevalently in captive deer herds, which is where natural deer urines are bottled. With the best method of positive diagnosis being a test of brain tissue from a dead animal, it is tough (and super expensive) to test for CWD in the bottled urines prior to shipment to stores.

GOBLN2: I would double check that. I don't know if Tinks or Code Blue makes synthetics (I just don't use scents much so I don't know the market) but I do know that they are probably the most popular providers of natural deer urine. Read the bottle before you purchase to save yourself the hastle. All synthetics are still legal to use as are natural non-cervid scents like coon, fox, etc.

Happy hunting, fellas!
Royce

Tinks does make a synthetic buck attractant. I ordered it directly from Tinks; I can't seem to find it in stock at any of the retail stores. Code Blue makes synthetic dominant buck, doe in estrous as well as a generic synthetic doe scent.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:14 pm