View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 am

Nice public land Mountain Buck. 
2 Year Old

Post Nice public land Mountain Buck.
No monster by the inches on his head but a trophy to me. Killed him at a quarter after 8am Thanksgiving morning. No real special story. The top of the mountain was covered in fog and snowing. I looked at the weather and saw the fog was going to clear out around lunch. i had intentions of going to the top to a spot in a laurel thicket where a nice flat wide beamed 8 pt got away from me. So I got in a stand below the fog line. Not that it's not a good stand I just had plans of going all the way to the top. It takes about a hour to get to where I killed the buck. I climbed in and took my heavy cloths out of my vest and put them on a settled in for the sit. Looked down the hollar and there he was coming through the laurel in a fast walk head stretched out on the ground. He was about 50 yards below me. I seen his horns and I never looked at them a again. I said that's a shooter (I aged him at 3.5-4 years old later by his teeth) and I put the crosshairs in a hole. When he stepped into it he stopped. 150 gr Nosler found its mark.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:23 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Re: Nice public land Mountain Buck.
looks like a trophy to me, I assume it a downhill drag, but :lol: where are the mules?

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:29 pm
Longbeard

Always cool to see G3s longer than G2s. That is a beautiful buck for just about anywhere! Congrats!

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:18 pm
King of Spring

Congrats!

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:19 am
King of Spring

Congratulations on a great mountain buck. Hopefully an easy drag in the snow.

Earl

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:08 am
King of Spring

Great buck Devin !

Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:56 pm
2 Year Old

Thanks! The drag wasn't bad. I had to drag him about 100 yards to the top of the ridge.it was a steep 100 yards but once I got him there it was pretty much all down hill. Took me about 2 hours to get him out.

Someone asked about the mules and another person mentioned my name! Evidentially couple of tall know me but I can't but names to profile names. I never deer hunted with the mules this year. Dad did several times but everywhere I went this year I went on foot.

Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:07 pm
King of Spring

Spit n Drum wrote:
Thanks! The drag wasn't bad. I had to drag him about 100 yards to the top of the ridge.it was a steep 100 yards but once I got him there it was pretty much all down hill. Took me about 2 hours to get him out.

Someone asked about the mules and another person mentioned my name! Evidentially couple of tall know me but I can't but names to profile names. I never deer hunted with the mules this year. Dad did several times but everywhere I went this year I went on foot.

Hey Devin I'm Ricky Vaturkey on Old Gobbler & Gobbler Nation

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:39 pm
King of Spring

Looks like a shooter to me. Congrats.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:10 am
King of Spring

I have always felt that if the G3s are longer that the G2s that is indicative of a mature buck.. nice Mountain Buck Man.. congrats..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:35 pm
Longbeard

nice mountain buck! congrats

Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:11 am