View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 am

New hunter hooked 
King of Spring

Post New hunter hooked
I had the opportunity to take a guy that was new to deer hunting this past Saturday. I had permission to hunt some private land that I knew I could get him on some deer. He had never been hunting before ever and had moved here from California. I set him up on a field edge in the morning where he saw a few deer but none presented a good shot for him. So after lunch we reposition to a hot spot where I knew the deer crossed and came for water. I had several does and spikes all morning but was waiting for the bigger boys to stroll by that I know are there. I watched a decent six pointer chase a couple of spikes around that morning, so I had a good feeling he would at least see lots of deer that afternoon. Around 2:15pm, a six pointer comes into the field and he looks like he's on a mission. He marches straight across the field and around in front of my new friend to the watering hole. No shot...I'm wondering what is going on. He's set up in a brush blind on the ground so I figured he must not have a shot. Well, the buck comes out the creek and walks to my buddy's left. I'm saying to myself "Shoot, shoot, shoot...come on shoot!" Well finally I hear the shot and the buck runs off. He gets up and begins to head that way. I text him and tell him to hang tight. I climb out of my stand and meet up with him. We talk about what just happened and he doesn't know if he hit him or not. We look and find his bolt...covered in poop. Not good. I tell him we need to let the buck lie down and not bump him. Even though I think it's too soon, we start to look for blood an hour later. I find the blood trail, slim as it is but there is one. Starting trailing and the buck didn't go 30 yards...there he is! High fives all around! He was so excited! I'm pumped because I now look like an awesome guide...lol! First deer ever for this guy, not a bad one in my opinion and now he's hooked!
Attachment:
Photo 2 Nov 15, 3 43 53 PM.jpg
Photo 2 Nov 15, 3 43 53 PM.jpg [ 254.16 KiB | Viewed 2392 times ]

Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:51 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: New hunter hooked
Very nice! congrats! He will remember that day and you forever.

I want to see the video though. It's got to be good when you see a deer wink at you like that! :D

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 am
King of Spring

Super. That's what one likes to see.

Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:40 pm
Longbeard

Nice. Congrats to the hunter and the guide

Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:44 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congratulations to you both!! :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats on and Awesome hunt.

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:21 pm
Profile YIM