View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:52 am

Same, Better, or Worse 
Poult

Post Same, Better, or Worse
So how has your season gone so far? We hunt the big woods around Jackson Mountain/ No Business Mountain in Bedford County. Been slow for us and the neighboring properties. I put food plots in for the first time and had good daytime activity until October 20th or so then everything went nocturnal. Only have 2 people hunting 150 acres, so I don't think pressure was a problem. Timber was cut pretty heavy I am guessing around 15 years ago, so acorns are spotty at best on our place, so that may be an issue. Not a lot of posting on the board this year, so just wondering what everyone is seeing.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:52 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Same, Better, or Worse
I've been having sum issues myself this season so far. I think this is the first muzzleloader season i didn't kill anything heck i didn't even see anything. I've been hunting a farm in Essex Co. which for the most part is one of the best places i've ever deer hunted I got 2 hanging on the wall from this farm. Hunted it hard for 2 weeks me and 2 other guys and the only thing that was killed was a doe. I've hunted scrapes, funnels, food sources mornings, evening's, mid-day with no result. I think the deer are still nocternal there because i haven't seen any daytime rut activity. I'm planing on Hunting a spot in King George i seen sum deer earlier in the season. So I would have to say worst this year so far but I'm going to keep plugging along something is bound to cross my path one day...

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:33 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Hunting Shenandoah Co and its pretty bad. We are not seeing the numbers in years past. I've let a few small bucks walk and haven't seen a doe yet. Interesting in that the bucks I've seen haven't been feeding in the food plots. They have just been cruising through probably looking for young ladies. I think there was a fair amount of mast this year and that may be making them stay in the woods more and not hit the food plots. I'll say one thing, turkey's are everywhere. I saw 22 yesterday hit a rye field about 2" tall. They were picking and grinning big time. The rye field had been planted over a burned area.

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:16 pm
2 Year Old

Hunting King George, I missed a doe the second day of black powder, my fault, just rushed the shot, my buddy shot a small 8 pt the 1st Friday of black powder and a spike the next Saturday. I busted a small 6 pt out of his bed last Saturday, the 1st day of general firearms, but that's ben about it. Have not even got any deer on the trail camera, even at night...

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm
Longbeard

I wouldnt say its worse but its certainly a different year than last year. Last years lack of acorns had deer out in the fields a lot more. This year we have plenty of acorns and less sightings. So again I think its a different year and maybe tougher to hunt but the bucks are still moving and I'm still seeing does

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 pm