View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:02 am

loaded... 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post loaded...
never seen a persimmon this loaded. (may have to turn it sideways, as l can't get it to post straight up), Deer or possums or notes have beat down flat circle under the tree.

Attachments:
IMG_4275.jpg
IMG_4275.jpg [ 158.5 KiB | Viewed 3812 times ]

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge
Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:42 pm
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: loaded...
Holy cow! Would love to hunt near that tree about now :mrgreen:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Thats a lot of persimmon pies right there. Just got to get to them before the deer.

Earl

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:21 pm
King of Spring

Looks like more than the tree is loaded:)

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:48 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

At least l know how to turn on the privacy thingy on my phone, even tho l don't know how to post pics very well. I don't have a smart teenage daughter around to help me. :D

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:45 am
King of Spring

Gobblenow wrote:
At least l know how to turn on the privacy thingy on my phone, even tho l don't know how to post pics very well. I don't have a smart teenage daughter around to help me. :D

I thought you had an IT guy? Or did he retire to coaching!

Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:54 pm
King of Spring

I haven't seen a Persimmon tree in years, There used to be one on this Farm i hunted in King George 15 years ago that would load down almost each season, and deer, turkey, groundhogs would flock to it.

Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:37 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

That is one full tree. I have found several up here too this year. There must be others I don't know about because I keep finding coyote poop with seeds in it.

Unusual to see one lone tree like that. Persimmons are male and female and both have to be around to get fruit. If you buy them they usually come in packs of 6 or so. that way you are insured to have both sexes. That is a good find though, I would hunt it.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:41 am
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Vic there are several more 'simmon trees around the area where this one sits. The critters do a fine job of both redistributing and fertilizing the new seeds , as you noted.

VBD l think the IT guy you are referring to is full time in to coaching and player management, as well he should be. Talented prospect on his hands.

- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:53 am
Longbeard

Im looking for some advice as far as hunting persimmons. I have a spot that has some persimmons loaded pretty good. Not as loaded as this tree but still plenty of them on there. Anyway in years past I havent had much luck hunting this spot. These persimmons where I can hunt seem to keep their fruit on for a long time. 2 years ago they still had plenty of fruit after hunting season ended. I know that persimmons are not supposed to be ripe until the first frost hits but when do you guys hunt a good persimmon spot? Is it normal for a tree to have fruit drop slowly over a couple months time?

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:22 pm
King of Spring

I see persimon trees drop at different times. I would put a trail camera on it and see when they start to hit it. If it isn't dropping shake the tree.
I hunt a crab apple tree and it hasn't started to drop much. Maybe soon. Good luck.

Vince

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:24 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

i only hunt them to eat persimmons :o

- Archibald Rutledge

Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:02 pm