View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 am

Buck movement 
Longbeard

Post Buck movement
Seeing lots of buck movement the last few days. All 2.5 yo or younger, but it is getting close. Also lots of scrapes and rubs in the woods. Only seen one chase, but lots of cruising/checking. What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?

Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:44 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Buck movement
Agree lots of movement saw younger bucks chasing does fri evening. Grunting and running all over bedding area..As well as one big 7 pt 21-22" spread in the mix. By the time he came under me at 12 yards I ran out of light . Got 241 pics on one scrape in 4 days.... 4 different shooters ! 3 outta 4 visited in daylight or shoot light.. One hit it at 9 am! Switched all 7 cams on my farm in Fauquier to scrapes. Looks to be starting just need some cold!!!!

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:29 am
King of Spring

I have been seeing more scrapes too. It is getting close. Supposed to be a cold front hitting this Friday/Saturday. Looks like a 20 degree temp drop. That could make it pop.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 am
King of Spring

Saw a local scavenger cutting the head off a road kill buck on rt 17 hartwood area ...looked to be a mature buck 18-19" spread and heavy this am on way to work . First big buck I've seen dead on the road. Getting close. Moon should be right on for a couple weeks!

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:12 pm
King of Spring

Saw a stud on my way to work this morning crossing a gasline about 150 yards behind my house. He was a bruiser! Shame I live within city limits. Really wish Roanoke city would start allowing urban archery, lots of trophy bucks in mine and my neighbors yard every fall.

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:23 pm
King of Spring

Finally got up a tree this morning.. saw one scrub buck and 4 does.. had to leave by 9 for a meeting..

This cold front should kick start them for ML season I hope.. been getting a lot of pics on mock scrape.. mostly non-shooters though..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:14 pm
Longbeard

Been in the tree the last two evenings. Two different shooters but the bow is a game of inches. One chased a doe down the ridge tonight. The next couple days should be hot.

2gbl

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 pm
King of Spring

Was out for my last evening bow hunt sit, it was a good evening with temps dropping into the 40's right around 6:10 seen a decent 8 point run out into the field wasn't sure what mite have spooked him until rite around last shooting light 6:25 what looked like a bull elk from 300 yards with low light definitly a monster buck. Them Big boys know the time to show up had the blood pumping for sure. Seen were it's supposed to warm back up middle of next week in the upper 60's low 70's again. I haven't seen a frost on my yard yet although the trees are starting to turn here finally. A buddy of mine was out in Christainburg hunting the NF last week and shot a 8 point 16in wide it's brow tines were 4" and g2's 10" said he seen him run a doe for a half hour before commiting. Good luck to everyone going out opening day Black powder hunting remember blaze orange this year also have a safe day in the woods..

Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:42 pm
Profile YIM