View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 pm

Food Plot Question 
Jake

Post Food Plot Question
First time food plot. Cleared three areas 2.5 acres, 3/4 acre, and 1 acre to bare dirt. Planted clover, oats and chickory in early August just before we had two weeks of pretty wet weather. Then last week of August and first week of September we had no rain and 90+ temps. The 2.5 five acre plot sprouted up nicely but when the warm temps and no rain came it died out last week. The 3/4 acre and 1 acre plots are still pretty decent.

Question - do I need to start all over ( reseed , fertilizer) or will that plot come back naturally? It is pretty much bare dirt now with some small growth of clover in patches.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 pm
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Food Plot Question
Keep your eye on the big plot and if it's going to recover it should do so this week with the rain last weekend.

If it doesn't, just go in as soon as the next rain is forecast (good rain, not showers) and broadcast some winter wheat in the plot. If the plot is dead/dead you can probably drag the seed in some. Cover crop wheat is cheap and it will grow on a rock... in the dark. You might even want to throw some turnip or radish seed on top as well.

Even though a lot of seed companies will tell you it's okay to plant in August, I always wait until after Labor Day. I got plots in just last weekend, and they'll be looking good by bow season. I always wait for the soil to have some moisture in it or a 100% chance of rain before I put the seed in the ground.

Good luck... I'm sure they'll be fine!

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 am
Profile WWW