View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:39 am

shotgun..... or rifle..... During general firearms season 
King of Spring

Post shotgun..... or rifle..... During general firearms season
What's your choice of weapon during the regular general firearms season??? Do you hunt with a rifle.... do u hunt with a shotgun.....

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:51 pm
2 Year Old

Post Re: shotgun..... or rifle..... During general firearms seaso
I'd say it depends... Here in Suffolk, Va we use many methods to hunt deer and the city only changed the law to allow rifles a few years ago. Most folks probably still use shotguns primarily. I'd say this is due to the amount of hound hunters and hunt clubs around. When doing "man drives" a shotgun is a must as well. But for a good Still Hunt during the rut... a Rifle is a must. Personally I prefer using my rifle now. It took some time to say that becasue as a boy, we were not allowed the use of rifles here. I think using my blackpowder rifle gained my confidence in the weapon and now my .270 is my best friend during the general firearms season. When I hunt in Isle of Wight and Southampton Counties, we still cannot use rifles, so I've put a slug barrell on my 870 shotgun for those longer field shots.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 am
Boss Gobbler

I hunt with a single shot rifle in .308win. I also have a single shot pistol in .480ruger

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

If a rifle is allowed use it. More accurate, less recoil generally and easier to shoot long distances.

The latest research I have seen says that shotguns may be more dangerous than a rifle too. Rifle bullets carry a longer distance, true, but a slug can bounce off the ground and stay intact where as a rifle bullet will usually explode once impacting the ground.

I wish they allowed rifles here in MD where I hunt.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:12 am
King of Spring

MuzzleLoader for me..

I am in a shotgun and ML only county.. I don't like the slug gun that I have.. so I stick with my ML .. this year I am going Smokeless.. still working on a load and bullet that I like.. I have the gun built though and have had it to the range once.. I converted a 45/70 bergara barrel and put in a Savage Breach for my Encore Frame.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:26 pm