View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 9:08 pm

Shooting Fawns? 
King of Spring

Post Shooting Fawns?
What do you guys think about taking fawns? (after they loose the spots of course). For me, buttons always get a pass. However when hunting in Bedford county, the deer density is so thick that I shoot most does regardless of size/age.

Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

lol. the way i look at it.. if its a long shot.. and i cant see the buttons.. and think its a decent lookin "doe".. you can pretty much understand whats gonna happen! lol =) around the area i hunt.. the deer travel soo much my huntin crew almost has to look at it.. its ours or somebody elses.. b/c more than likely its gonna be shot through the season.. alot of people around the place i hunt.. definitly arent choosy! but if i see buttons.. and know what it is.. more than likely. .( unless, i dont have meat in the freezer).. he'll probably walk for a couple more years! if he makes it through the season.. =)

just my thoughts!

Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:41 pm
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

Sometimes take the fawn in lieu of the breeder doe. Depends on the location (drag). Try to give the buttons a free pass, but have messed up a time or two.

Does anybody know the definition of "yearling"? Dad always called called a little one with a doe a "yearling" in the fall. Don't know if thats correct or not.

Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:20 am
King of Spring

I don't have a problem with shooting buttons. There not being selected for harvest over their counterpart doe fawns, so I don't think the incidental harvest of buttons has a negative impact on the buck population, not any more than shooting a doe that would give birth to a male fawn in the spring. I don't shoot buttons because it also doesn't help the buck population and I feel disappointed.....I have taken a couple by mistake.

wttail.....I refer to fawn under a year, yearling 1-2 years. I think that is what you will find in scientific publications. I'm sure that both terms are used by different people describing dear under a year.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I've shot them and will again as long as they don't have spots.

Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:18 am
King of Spring

I personally think the spots make great aim points. Generally I don't like to shoot spots either, but up here you can shoot a buck then you have to shoot 3 antlerless deer to free up another buck tag. So many times I will shoot a youngin' just to open up my other tag. I look at it this way, deer populations are going nuts. We need to harvest as many deer as we can to try and keep the populations in check. You might only get 10 shots a year so if you pass some of those up you are not doing your part to keep the deer populations in check.

Besides, my wife asks me to shoot youngins because they are more tender. She likes veal. Also, if she isn't going to complain about me hunting I am going to shoot what she asks for as long as it is legal.

Vic

Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:23 pm