View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:19 am

Late Season Doe 
King of Spring

Post Late Season Doe
I always love to hunt this time of year. Yesterday I had off so I and a couple friends went and hunted an area that we love. Its a few hundred acres of Government land that no one can access except those who hunt Aberdeen Proving Ground. Kind of like having your own secluded property. Anyway we went in and picked areas based on past experience. That morning 4 deer were spotted but were out of range of bows and arrows. So for the afternoon we moved a little to see if we could get onto a few. Two years back I tracked a doe and while doing so found a great trail through a swamp. I found were it came out and marked it in memory. Yesterday I went to look and see if the trail was still there and it was. So I back off where it came into the hardwoods and found a good tree. It provided good cover because of the hollys that surrounded it. Around 2 PM I look up and 2 does just emerged from the trail. One started to feed away from me but the other hung around 35 yards out. She was moving to my right and went through one of my shooting lanes. I covered the next lane with my scope (crossbow) and waited. She stopped just short of the lane and seemed a little spooky. She turned back towards me and did a little button hook and was now about 23 yards quarter towards. I was waiting for a broadside but she looked like she was about to bolt. So I sighted the crease between her neck and shoulder and cut it loose. I hear a loud slap and she takes off running back to the swamp. When I hear phragmites snapping and popping I knew she was in a death run. I tracked the sound until it stopped. I was pretty sure she was down. I waited about an hour and went to look for her. I found my arrow with good blood stuck in a tree. Luckily I was able to pull it out. I didn't blood track but headed towards the last sound. I walked into the tall grass and found a trail about 25 yards in. Then I took a right on the trail and found her piled up about 15 yards just off the trail. I hooked my drag line to her and drug her out and behind my stand. It was all I could do to get her out of the phragmites. That stuff is tough. She weighed about 65 lbs field dressed. I wanted a deer for breakfast sausage and the Lord provides. Yum.

Hopefully I can get out another day or two before the end of season. If not I will have enough to get me to next year.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Late Season Doe
Congratulations Vic. Great story thanks for sharing.
I was TAD one time to Aberdeen and seen some powerful bucks back then. Are there biggies still there?

Earl

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:50 pm
King of Spring

There are a few big bucks taken every year. Saw a couple 150, 160 class deer. Biggest if have seen was a Booner. Most bucks I see in the woods though are 100 to 130 class. My buddy shot a 155 this year but the body was small, 125 lb field dressed.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:09 am
King of Spring

Congrats Vic, keep us posted on the rest of your hunts!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Going out Friday, last day of season. Hopefully I can find one more. Packing 26 lbs of breakfast sausage tonight.

Wify says she needs more ground.

Vic

-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 am