View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

Wild pigs marching into Virginia 
King of Spring

Post Re: Wild pigs marching into Virginia
Neill wrote:
Here's the thing on escapees. If you look at a map of confirmed feral pig locations in VA....they've mostly popped up in the last 10 years or so. There's been farm pigs in this state for hundreds of years. Now the sudden spike in escapees?

Very true and valid point. Different times though. As I said the effort in recovery or eradication is lacking today. Probably could have been easily stopped in early stages but as you say some thought it a good thing. Now it will be very difficult without 100% landowner participation. I just thought the article showed some bias against hunters without presenting any evidence to support their claims.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 am
King of Spring

There have been many articles about the spread of hogs in the lower 48. Some of this is do to natural movements of the animals but some is done by people wanting to establish hogs for hunting and such. A man in TX wrote an article called the Great Release. He talked about ranchers who guided hunters wanting additional game to hunt. Deer season are very specific but hog hunting is a year round endeavor. So these ranchers deliberately released the hogs into new areas so they could utilize the land beyond deer and turkey seasons. Now they could sell hog hunts year round if necessary.

I am sure some of what is happening in VA is similar, land owners needing the land to pay for itself.

Earl, I hear hogging in Ft. Stewart is pretty good. I use to see quite a few.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:17 pm
King of Spring

Quote:
Earl, I hear hogging in Ft. Stewart is pretty good. I use to see quite a few.

Vic

I see and hear a lot during the spring season but the base allows no hog hunting during that time. The rest of the year it is open for hogging.

Earl

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:50 pm
Longbeard

My only hope is that hunters around here will treat hogs like they have 1 1/2 year old bucks. If they do, well be OK!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:00 am
King of Spring

Beardbuster agreed, up until 5 years I never thought about a coyote in Chesapeake. Now they are moving in at a fast pace. A buddy of mine killed a female just a couple of hundred yards behind our neighborhood this past fall. I've seen at least 15 this year in the fields around here. Same with the hogs, WMA Cavalier track. It's on the VADGIF web site about the pigs there. You can see where they are rooting in the ditches.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:16 pm
Poult

Bird Dog wrote:
Neill I believe the article greatly exagerates the "hunter release" of pigs. ....

I will go so far as call BS on the hog problem.

I have successfully hunted hogs in Florida, Tennessee, and Oklahoma. I have hunted for hogs in several other states.

Any time our government tells us there is a problem (a problem that I can help them with) then they refuse to tell me where it is, well they can just shut the hog up!

I do not live far from Bland county, have relatives there, and have searched for hogs there. Rumor has it they are on National Forest as well as private land.

I have first hand knowledge of some hogs that appeared on NF land in Pulaski County. I know the fellow that filmed them then asked the Forest Service for permission to hunt them.
They said, "No!" and the hogs were gone within a few days!
The government has a very effective shoot, trap, and poison program.

I hunted an area in Tennessee where their game department was advertising for help from local sportsmen to "Shoot every hog you see".
My partner and I spent a week hunting hard. Neither of us are city boys. I spent 35 years hunting in Alaska and my partner spent his entire life hunting SW Virginia. We never even found a fresh track.
We did hear stories, from nearly every local we met, of government trappers working the area. We talked to two check stations and only one fellow even remembered ever checking in a hog. And that was several years ago.

I do believe they can be a problem. I also believe they can take over an area in a short period of time if not held in check.
If the state really had a problem, I cannot believe they would not organize a hunt to control their population, like they do for deer. Or put a bounty on their heads.
Or at least tell me where the hogs live!

If the hogs are on private land and the land owners want it kept a secret and they refuse to let hunters on their land, then they have a problem, not the state and certainly not me.

If and when the hogs leave private land, give me a call, I'll decide then if I want to believe it.

If I sound skeptical...its because I am. I have been lied to before.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:54 pm
King of Spring

They are here in Chesapeake. Cavalier Wildlife Management Area. Only thing is the game department has a no hunting sign posted. I've seen the cage traps , so I know they are still around.

Sat May 28, 2016 10:01 pm