View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:06 am

Kin and Friends at Family Grounds 
King of Spring

Post Kin and Friends at Family Grounds
11-30-13
Spent the day deer hunting with Shawn and friends at Family Grounds. It was special to me in two ways.

1. Kin
1. Worked the woods together hunting side by side with Shawn just like I used to hunt with my dad in the County. I can still remember seeing my dad topping a little knoll with his Marlin 336 cradled in his hand and seeing a wisp of smoke as he puffed on his pipe.

Got to hunt with Shawn in a piece of woods big enough to hunt all day. Just like hunting with my dad in the County.

2. Friends
Life always seems to get in the way except for deer season when friends gather. I truly believe that as the days grow shorter and colder there are a few of us affected by man's primal instinct to gather meat for the winter.

History tells us that the most successful of our ancestors survived harsh times by being able to provide for their troop.

Hunting was taken a lot more serious back them. As if almost to a science. Each time I hunt a piece of woods I look for that science.

Deer are very hard animal to sneak up on when it is one man alone. But when you add a family and how they use their inherited genes to learn this science...........you ensure your survival.

The supermarkets supply the table fare for mankind today. But there is still a small percentage of society who put value in our hunting heritage.

Especially with Family.

First deer of the day, Tom's half an eight point. 120 pounds. I want to see the winner.

Second deer Shawn's M tag button buck. Lighting struck for the third time behind Brandon's tree.

It means a lot to me to hunt with family especially when one member is my son.

Your eye in the Northeast sky
Coalman's Online Blog http://coalmansblog.com

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Kin and Friends at Family Grounds
Thanks for the story and pics! I just finished a two week vacation where I was blessed to hunt with friends and family. Had a great time myself! :smt003

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

8) I look forward to the day when I can take my boys hunting.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I definitly use deer as a resource for meat during the winter months. Awesome job on the deer kill!

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:10 pm
Profile YIM