View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:15 pm

Sunday hunting in Virginia 
King of Spring

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:17 am

I agree with much of what you say. All you have to do is look around and see moral decay abounds. I think we must have boundries and kids without them are evident everywhere. I think many of the school shootings arose from lack of moral guidance. Many are against the 10 commandments but I think most would agree from most faiths that the 10 commandments are pretty much a universal truth and a good guide for living. My reason to allow Sunday hunts evolves from this, I don't think Government should have the right to tell me what I can do on my land. Government has taken away many civil liberties under many different mantras. I think my home is my sanctuary and Government shouldn't put its nose into my business. If what I do affects ajoining properties then Government has the right to act as an intermidary, but as long as I am not bothering others outside I should be left alone.

At any rate I see this issue as a matter of personal choice. If you want to hunt and you have a place to hunt, hunt. If you wish to keep Sunday holy do so. I would just rather see less Government than more.

Vic

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:10 am
Longbeard

lol! i hear ya guys!! i think all of us would be in agreemant in saying that we wish there was less government and politcs in personal matters! i mean, who wouldnt!! to be honest, we all get punished because of those that really dont pay attention to rules and regulations! because of those that dont care, hurts those that do! and unfortunatley, thats life!! one thing again, i want to express again.... when i post, i am not judging anybody else! i am not trying to get anybody to believe like me or anybody else on this board, i kinda feel bad in thinkin that some of ya think i am judging or condeming what some of you think, and that is so not what i am trying to do! i'm just expressing my thoughts! =)

wttail,

i dont think one bit you are stirring up trouble, alot of us are new to the board within the last year or few months and havnt been able to discuss this topic with others, i personally think its pretty cool that we can discuss this! secondly, i hear ya about what you said to my previous post! i hate the fact that alot of us, not necessarily on this issue, but several others, we cant pursue something for the fear of the anti's its completely rediculous and i hear ya buddy!! i guess the way i, personally, think is i know that i'm not gonna change their minds, and for some reason they are protected, and its a "bad" thing for us to express our opinion, but its ok for them to.... why stir up more dust!! being free, definitly is a give and take thing, and i guess we need to pick our battles! ya know!

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:44 am
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

Yea buddy RtoR! and my judging comment was pointed torwards the goverment as a whole not an individual. In some ways you can look at this issue and it looks like the government is calling Sunday hunting a sin, but golfing, raceing, softball etc. is not. I fish a little, but hunting is my thing and sometimes I get a little bent, cause there a lot of people out there who look down thier noses at the sport.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:04 pm
Jake

Post Sundays
This type of conversaton is awsome and I challenge anyone to find an incorrect statement in the last 3 pages of this thread. I cannot tell you how much I'm thankful to wttail for provoking .... during a time of war,.. so many freedom related, moral related, political, ethical and religious view points and I give props to everyone who responded!!

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:00 pm
Longbeard

I do not know which way to lean on this one. Part of me ses like all the other guys yes I want to be able to hunt on Sundays because its the only time off I have. But then another part of me wants to know if there is some logic behind this law and it is not there just because of God and church. So I just wrote the Department of Game and asked them to tell me why this law is in existence. I want to know if there is actually some overall statewide concern for the wildlife population/reproduction, which could be the case since that will vary from state to state and could possibly be why some states allow it, and others do not. Or if it is just because "oh well that’s the way its always been". I will write again when I get a response from the state. :D
PS I love to write the state and aggravate the SHT out of em. haha,

Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
2 Year Old

afull03, your post is reflects the reason I got interested in this. I think its an old blue law that has been slow to die out, with no hard science behind it. I may be proven wrong, but I would like to see some studies done or some old ones if they have already been done. I don't want to push something that would have a negative affect on deer hunting. Sure would be interested to hear what kind of response you get.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:18 am
King of Spring

This is one topic where I cannot understand the position of the other side. For many Sunday is the only day they don't have to work. Fortyfive states have hunting on Sunday and no complaints that I'm aware of. Allowing hunting on Sunday does not force anybody to do so.

I really don't see how this is an issue to affect landowners. They set the terms for hunting as they wish. Hunters that don't respect those wishs loose their privledges. That seems pretty simple to me.

Regarding out of state hunters.......Virginia will never attract masses of out of staters....it does not have a reputation as a trophy state. So weigh the balance: deny many fellow Virginians the opportunity to hunt on Sunday so as to dissuade a handful of out of stater's from coming here? Doesn't add up to me.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Well I got an answer back, and unfortunately is not what I wanted to hear. Here is what the state of Virginia had to say about the law and why it is here.

Mr. Fuller,

Thank you for your inquiry on Sunday hunting. This issue is probably one of the more controversial issues in both the hunting community and the general public. Since the prohibition on hunting on Sunday is a part of state law, action by the General Assembly would be needed to change it. The hunting community is almost evenly divided on the pros and cons of Sunday hunting, and most surveys actually show a little more support for continuing the ban than for removing the prohibition. In the past 20+ years, the General Assembly has considered legislation that would have changed some aspect of the Sunday hunting law in no less than 10 Sessions, with the most recent being this past 2005 Session. Except for federal and state-owned public lands, most hunting in Virginia takes place on private property. In survey responses, private property owners have shown strong support for keeping the Sunday hunting ban. A change in the prohibition may end up being disadvantageous to the hunting community since some private land owners could very well disallow hunting all together on their property.

It is fair to say that hunting in Virginia on Sunday is a cultural issue, a sociological issue, and an issue tied directly to Virginia tradition. Given that, it becomes quite complex and not subject to easy change or resolution.

We hope this information is helpful and trust that we have answered your questions.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Longbeard

So apparently according to the response I received from the state the law has nothing to do with the wildlife that we hunt. As the response said it is nothing more than a Virginia tradition that has yet to be changed. :!:

Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:29 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
King of Spring

wttail, scholar and gentleman that he is, broached this topic on tndeer.com to get a feel for how sunday hunting has impacted those have actually experienced it for sometime. I strongly encourage any of you opposed to Sunday hunting to check out this thread on tndeer under the general forum. I was a little surpised that even the most evangelical Christians supported Sunday hunting. Maybe it's something we can learn to live with.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:35 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

OK I have read this and although I posted before when it was discussed. I am an avid hunter but oppose Sunday hunting. I have several reasons for this, but my most important one is that everyone including animals deserves a day off. 5 years ago I would have supported this, but now my feeling have changed. Dont get me wrong if it were legal I would probably do it a time or two, but as stated by a few good friends of mine "Be careful what you wish for". I think you would see a lot more pressure from hunters both in state and out of state. Also I think it would put a bad spin on things from landowners that would not want hunting on Sundays. I respect all of your opinions and thanks for keeping this clean. Everyone has their right to their opinion, this is only mine. I would like to see this day stay protected, I know my wife would as well :wink:

Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:54 am
2 Year Old

LOL Hody my wife and yours to! I respect your opinion.

Neill is right on about TN's position. They seem to almost be in disbelief tht its not allowed.

My question for the reponder to afulle03's letter.....Where/ when/ how were the Virginia land owners polled? I have been a land owner for close to ten years and a member of the Virginia Farm Bureau and I can never recall being surveyed on the issue.

And again, I may be surprised along the way, but these questions should be answered.

Thanks again.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:19 am
Longbeard

I do know when land owners were supposedly polled by the state, that is just the response I got back from the state when I asked why is this law is in effect. My father is a landowner and so is alot more of my kin folk. I have never know any of them to be polled either.

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:56 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW