View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 6:21 am

Tree Stand or not to Tree Stand? 
Jake

Post Tree Stand or not to Tree Stand?
Hey all,

About to kick off the deer season tomorrow at Quantico. I have a climber, but have not had the chance to get out to scout any of the areas. I have reserved an area that I have been in (chasing turkey in Spring) and am hoping that will help me a little.
The big question is - whether to take and use the climber, or to walk and stalk (figure I could find a spot and make myself comfortable and wait?
Thoughts, advantages/disadvantages - general advice welcome.

In the off chance that one of you is heading to Quantico tomorrow, and wouldn't mind having a tag along (asking questions - albeit very quietly) please let me know.

Thanks

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Tree Stand or not to Tree Stand?
Definately use the climber. Your chances are much better with the stand. You can see better elevated, and deer are much more likely to see you first if you are moving around.

Also, if Quantico is anything like Lejeune, there will be lots of other hunters. If you are walking around you are much more likely to disturb somebody else's hunt.

Best of luck.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Jake

Thanks Neill, definitely don't want to disturb someone else...

Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:15 pm
2 Year Old

I believe a tree stand is way better, however, I have killed plenty of deer from the ground also. Have fun and be safe. See ya at work Monday.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:14 am
Poult

Col, I use my climber during archery season because a deer at bow distances will spook at the slightest motion at ground level, less so if you are elevated. It also improves observation as others noted. During gun season I have taken all my deer at Quantico from the ground. I sit on a comfortable folding stool with a tripod for a shooting rest. Deer on Quantico are spending a lot of time grazing on grass in open fields this year. Maybe due to lack of acorn mast. Get in place as early as you can; I have bumped them off the fields when I arrived as early as 1pm. Unfortunately it's mostly does and fawns. Quantico only allows bucks during gun season except on designated doe days.

Ed

Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm
King of Spring

I would definitly take the stand getting up high gives you multi-advantages to seeing well because most of the leaves have now falling an also i've noticed you can hear better too. Also when spring turkey hunting it improves your woodsman skills for the fall deer season.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:34 am
Profile YIM