View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:32 pm

Opening Day Success 
King of Spring

Post Opening Day Success
Well, lighting finally struck on Opening Day of muzzleloader season this year for me. I've been hunting with the crew (Freddy/Tim/Scott/David/Max) for about eight years now. The very first year out I had an opportunity at a nice buck and missed, only to have the confused buck walk right up to me while I was trying to reload and then not present a shot again. I've passed on some "borderline" bucks in the years since that first encounter. I get teased about my definition of "borderline" by the crew because generally speaking, a borderline buck that wanders by me gets shot later by one of the crew. It happens so often that the rest of the crew often takes turns deciding who gets to hunt near me so they can take the deer I pass! it's ok, by now most of you know that I'm not a big buck hunter at heart, preferring to take does for the freezer.

I enjoy the fellowship that we share at camp. I've seen some MONSTER bucks taken by the group as a whole. Most of all, I simply enjoy the time we all get to spend together enjoying the great outdoors. Taking a nice deer for myself has always been secondary. The morning hunt found my in my usual stand but the deer simply weren't moving very well. I saw two deer at daybreak and that was it. The rest of the crew saw one deer total, so I counted my blessings. After having some lunch at camp (thanks Amy and Abby!), stand choices were made for the afternoon hunt and I was blessed to hunt with Freddy. You see, my vision is not the best and I often miss seeing what others easily pick up. For those of you that don't know it, Freddy has better than 20/20 vision. Plus, hunting together always adds the social aspect to the hunt. Simply put, we have fun! At 4 pm, I spot a deer feeding along. A good sign from our point of view. Maybe the deer will be on their feet early this afternoon.

Awhile later, more deer show up, mostly does and fawns. The doe killer in me is salivating but we're after horns this evening. Soon, we have seven or eight deer, all does and yearlings, feeding in range but light is fading fast! Suddenly, Freddy says big deer. I look at his body language (Freddy's that is) and he's serious. The next words are "Shooter" and "Get Turned Around". That set into motion a calamity of events that had me banging and clanging everything I touched. I had to get my seat turned and the leg banged into part of the blind. Then I had to move even more to get positioned right Then the window stuck and we had to work that out. Light is fading fast so there was a sense of urgency. As I'm easing the muzzleloader out the opening, I manage to bang the gun on the blind. The deer never raise their heads! Finally, gun out the opening. Freddy asks if I want a sandbag Sure, why not. After getting that resolved, finally ready to make this happen!

Freddy ranges him at 106 yards. I find the deer in my scope among the does. His head is down feeding hard and a glimpse of his antlers confirms why Freddy called shooter! Focusing on shot details, Freddy's voice fades as I prepare to fire. The buck finally takes a decent angle and BOOM! The air fills with white smoke and that's all I see. Luckily, Freddy had him in the binos at the shot and followed him out of sight. A solid hit according to my extra set of eagle eyes! The does remain in view confused at what just happened. Now the adrenaline races through my system and my legs start to shake. Happens on every big game kill. Some fist bumps and a few texts, then on to the tracking. For those of you that don't know, my color blindness makes blood tracking almost impossible for me. Freddy is amazing and I have to get almost to ground level to see what he sees walking. As the trail increases, I shine the light ahead looking for parts of a downed deer. There, in the creek, lies a tall rack 8 pointer. Later, the scales tip at 172 lbs.

I'd done it! Many, many thanks Freddy, Amy, Abby, Hody and crew! I am truly blessed!

[img][url=http://s128.photobucket.com/user/vtbrat/media/ML%20Buck%20110213/100_0882.jpg.html]

[img][url=http://s128.photobucket.com/user/vtbrat/media/ML%20Buck%20110213/100_0883.jpg.html]

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:49 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Post Re: Opening Day Success
Congrats Dale....way to hold out for the biggun!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:59 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Congrats!

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 am
King of Spring

Congrats!! great buck!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:06 am
Boss Gobbler

Congrats again man! It was great to be there with you to watch it all unfold! Congrats on a well-deserved great buck!!! Oh... great shot too!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Congrats again man, I am happy for you and it was awesome being there to help and get the story first hand. Good luck the rest of the year with your does and filling the freezer 8)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 pm
King of Spring

Awesome story Dale.. congrats.. I admire your hunting ethics and attitude ..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:49 pm
King of Spring

Congrads Dale! Sounds like not only a great hunt but also a great time with friends!! Thats what its all about!

Doug

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:47 pm
King of Spring

Congrats on a fine deer Dale !

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:28 pm
Boss Gobbler

Congratulations my friend!! I couldn't have been happier when I got that text!! :mrgreen: You deserve it!!!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Well written. Congrats!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:20 pm
King of Spring

You got yourself a dandy there way to! I hate when that happens to me it seems like all the time when deer show I seem to rattle an clank everything in the stand..

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:37 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Very nice Dale, congratulations.

Earl

Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:22 pm
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

if there was ever anybody who deserved good buck ...well, you deserve a big deer for many reasons...congrats...

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:58 pm