View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:01 am

how do yall cook deer and recipes 
Longbeard

Post how do yall cook deer and recipes
As this time of year rolls around we all cant wait for that first meal of deer. We have always used our deer burger as a substitute for hamburger making things such as deer burgers, meat loaf, tacos, and spaghetti. Of course we do steaks and loins. Were not a big fan of roast. I was wondering how everyone else does it and if yall could share some recipes as my wife loves new recipes to add to her books. Thanks guys and happy hunting

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:04 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: how do yall cook deer and recipes
I usually do my first deer as jerky great for eating on the stand an sharing with friends :wink:

I use:

1 bottle of liquid smoke
1 bottle of worechester sauce
1/2 bottle of terriaki or soy sauce
coat it pretty good with garlic powder
couple big dashes of cajun season

I cut up an marinate 5lbs or more of venison at a time, then after seasoning i'll let it stand in the fridge for 24 to 48 hrs mixing an an shaking about every 10hrs, if it looks like the meat soaked up most of the liquids i'll top it off with a little water to keep it moist, then i'll use my dehydrator (i have one of the round one's) the oven will work to just cooks a little faster about 150degrees, but in my dehydrator i'll cook for about 10-12 hrs immediately when it done i'll throw it in the fridge for a little while in a zip loc bag it helps to keep it moist.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:22 pm
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Thanks beard buster. Have you tried the marinade allegro? We can only find it in food lion. Very good aswell

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:07 pm
King of Spring

Take the tenderloin and butterfly it. Then marinade in dales for about 5 minutes and then spread cream cheese on one side and put jalepeno on the other side. then fold back together and wrap with bacon and grill!!! Yum Yum

Doug

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:23 pm
King of Spring

tenderloin, back straps and hind quarters I cut into medallions, usually use a dry rub like lysanders, and either briol in the stove or cut on the grill.

The rest, shoulders, front quarters, scraps, etc... I used to grind into burger. No more. I read about a simple recipe a few years ago and it's what I use now...jusr trim and cut into small pieces. Brown on the stove and cook with gravy, carrots, onions and redwine in the crock pot. Serve with noodles if you like. Tastes great!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:48 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I second marinating in Dales...

We had some non-venison eating friends over a couple weeks ago after I killed that first nice buck and I marinated the sweet meat in Dales and just cooked quickly on the grill. They destroyed it! :)

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:03 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Can't go wrong just putting terriaki sauce in a bag, letting meat marinade for a few days in the fridge, then grilling.

Need to try Dales some day.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:52 am
Poult

I take a full strap or loin and marinate then wrap in bacon and tie with butchers twine. Hit that with a nice layer of course ground pepper. Smoke over apple/cherry wood at 225 until medium rare/medium and slice really thin for french dip sandwiches. Seems like when the bacon is done the meat is done. I do the same for boned out roast. Additionally when butchering i remove all fat and silver skin for all cuts/use.

For sausage I take venison burger and cut with Neeses Hot sausage. Makes really good breakfast sausage, chili, lasagna, spaghetti and pizza topping.

I also will put a roast in the crock pot add 1/2 cup of water and cover the meat on top with a packet of dry powder french onion soup cook on low until it ready to eat. Can do same with frozen roast, no need to thaw out.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:01 am
2 Year Old

I cut the tenderloin into medallions, then roll them in flour, pepper, and salt, then fry them in butter.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:44 am