View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:03 am

Trail Cam stolen 
King of Spring

Post Trail Cam stolen
I wanted to beef up my trail cam surveillance so I got a 2nd camera a couple weeks ago. I got a covert black 60 after hearing all the great reviews. I put it out a week ago Wed. I did not have steel box for it, but did cable lock it to a tree. I have caught a few trespasser's on film, but none ever messed with my camera.

I went to check it last night and it was gone. The cable still tight around the tree. They tried to cut the cable, and when that didn't work, the just broke the plastic backing the cable went through. I only found one small piece of plastic.

No way to know who it was....but I definately learned a lesson. No trespesser will be getting off with a warning either.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Trail Cam stolen
that sucks neill. i hope you can catch them and make them pay for the camera. i always put mine in a steel box. i just don't take a chance even if its in my back yard..thanks, denny

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:11 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I've had that happen some. Started putting 2 per site in the problem areas One up at tree 15 feet caught the culprit last year. He never thought to look up. Takes an extension ladder and time but it worked!

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 pm
2 Year Old

Check out camlockbox.com for security boxes. I bought two security boxes for my cameras and won't go back.

Sorry to hear about your stolen camera and hope they catch the guy.

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:23 pm
Poult

I had one stolen a few weeks ago. It was cable locked, and all the hardware was gone, so I guess they cut through the cable. I'll never put one out again without a steel box lag-bolted to the tree. I like the idea of a second camera to film the thief in action.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am
King of Spring

I took a photo of trespasser I got a couple months ago and visited a lot of folks living near my farm. Some I know, most I never met before. I did get an ID on the trespasser. He found out I was looking for him and gave me a call. He has permisison on a neighboring farm and came over to my place to look around. He admitted he had to walk over no trespassing signs and did not know I have his picture. He denied stealing the camera. I do not believe or disbelieve him.....I've been around too long to take somebody I don't know at their word especially when they admit to trespassing. But there are certainly others who could have gone through the area so although it doesn't look good for that guy, I can't be certain that it is him. One good thing is good about this is a lot of people in the area got to look me in the eye and know that I am not messing around and keep a close eye on the place. I know that word spreads and that pays dividends.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I hate to hear that Neil! :evil:

Nothing is thief proof but you can try and slow them down. I use http://www.custom1enterprises.com/ safes and highly recommend them. 11 gauge steel with predrilled holes in the back. I use hardened lag bolts to attach to the tree and a python cable with a masterlock shrouded padlock. They may still get it but they will sweat for it :mrgreen:

Here are a couple of mine in a Custom 1 safe....

Also a want to be thief that tried but gave up...

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Had one stolen last year on private land in Shenandoah County Virginia. Was in the exact middle of a 200 acre chunk of property. Figure who stole it probably was trespassing and saw that I had his picture. His solution was to steal the camera to avoid being caught.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:30 pm
King of Spring

BROOKTROUT wrote:
Check out camlockbox.com for security boxes. I bought two security boxes for my cameras and won't go back.

Sorry to hear about your stolen camera and hope they catch the guy.

That sucks! I use a cam lock box with my Truth Cam...heavy carrying it in but at least I know it should be secure!

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:05 am
King of Spring

Bummer

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon May 08, 2017 8:02 am