View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:07 pm

It's starting!! 
King of Spring

Post It's starting!!
Hunted am n pm today... Bucks cruising and one 2 yr old 8 pt chasing a doe this am. Saw 7 bucks total. Had an encounter w a big 8 pt tonite . Got up from bed in bean field 50 yards away never got closer than 46 yrds. I shoot that far but too good of buck to mess up on! 18-19"wide but super heavy (coke can bases)and easy 13-14" 2s and 3s! Looked to be 4.5 or older...Don't have any pics of this dude . Got me n the mood now :wink:

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: It's starting!!
I can only say that as of this evening, I have logged 22 hours on stand, and only just saw my first 3 deer in the last 20 minutes of that time. Two bucks, big bodies but couldn't not see their racks well in the fading light, I believe they were 2-3 yro, maybe older on the larger. They appeared at 100 yards, I turned a bleat can and they closed the distance to 35 yards pretty quick. I had a shot, but like to keep it to under 30 especailly in low light. A few minutes later I had a chip shot at doe right under my stand. Not sure where she came from. Too dark to see through the peep...though still legal light. My shooting light goes out several minutes before legal light ends. I hear it gets worse as you get older :roll:

Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I didn't hunt last night, but was heading into town at last light and saw a lot of deer in the fields.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:59 pm
King of Spring

I'm not to sure what causes the rut whether it's the moon, air temp's, time of year, air pressure I'm looking at the temp's for next week an it's looking like it's goin to be dropping in the 30's at nite around here even saying some frost mite be on it's way. I know it's getting me excited for sure... :D

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:13 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Been looking at the forcast here too. Taking Thursday off, looks like a good cold front coming in. Yea baby!

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:25 am
Longbeard

seen deer all sumer now not a one, lots of tracks, there here. We had no acorns at all around here, so they will be in my feed plots for sure,

Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:06 am
Longbeard

Cold front seems to be getting them moving some. Or at least the young ones. I saw 4 bucks tonight and all but 1 were in bow range. They still had some growing to do though. 1 really made me think about it.
Anybody else seeing more buck movement?

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 pm
King of Spring

CavMan11 wrote:
Cold front seems to be getting them moving some. Or at least the young ones. I saw 4 bucks tonight and all but 1 were in bow range. They still had some growing to do though. 1 really made me think about it.
Anybody else seeing more buck movement?

Did some hunting yesterday evening it was slow with no deer moving in my neck of the woods, but yesterday morning on my way to work i saw a nice 8 or 6 pointer chasing a smaller buck around with his horns, there were also 2 decent sized does in the field as well.. Then on my way to the stand i found 4 scrapes an a rub line with the trees tore up, i definitly think rutting activity is in the air... :)

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:24 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Shot a doe yesterday am Saw 5 bucks 1 shooter 10 pt. big buck was 20 yards but too thick for a shot. Plenty of grunting and trailing doe groups

Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:46 am
Jake

Saw a young 4 pt pushing 4 does around in my back yard yesterday evening. Very much looking forward to getting
in the woods this evening.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm
Longbeard

Thanks for the updates gentlemen. I'm already excited about the morning hunt tomorrow. Moon/Lunar charts show an early morning and a midday movement times so get there early and stick it out. Good luck to all.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 pm