View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:34 am

Mass Harvest 
King of Spring

Post Mass Harvest
It seems like this year will be good year for Acorns at least here in the Northern Neck was sitting outside lastnite an already heard white oak nuts hitting the tin roof on the garage. I'm guessing with all the rain we've had corn, soy beans an acorns all have had a good year i'm thinking there will be plenty for the deer an turkey to eat this fall. My prediction is early bow deer will be hitting woods forage hard as were last year our acorn crop wasn't that great funneling deer to the field edges. How is it in the rest of the state??? Maybe some other predictions on early season.?.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Mass Harvest
We had a bumper crop last year... but this year, at least from what I've found, is spotty to non-existent. I've seen a few reds, but I haven't personally found a white oak with acorns on it yet.

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I haven't checked my oaks yet, but I'm eager to find out. Less acorns equals more movement and better hunting, so the theory goes. More acorns equals healthier deer. I guess it's a win win. :lol:

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Re: Mast Harvest
I was in oak flats both Friday and Saturday. Saw almost none on the ground. The few I saw had almost no flesh to them. The caps were the biggest part of them. I looked into the top of the Chestnut Oaks and didn't see any acorns there either. May be a bad year here, which does mean more movement. If I can find the ones that are dropping, game on.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:44 am
King of Spring

we will have a good oak acorn season here. trees seem to be loaded to the hilt. all ready falling in my dads yard.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

the mast crop isnt looking too good around my area of central virginia either. nothing much in the oaks and last year was so good that I don't feel like that could be repeated. could be a good year for the field edges or hopefully will have that one tree that drops a good amount

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:54 pm
King of Spring

No white oak acorns at all at my farm in Fauquier. Spent about 2 hrs the other day looking. Plenty of pin oaks though .

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:55 am
2 Year Old

The acorn crop in Prince William County (Quantico) is very weak. The upside is that I was seeing a lot of deer and turkeys on the field edges. Harvest should be up - but deer weight may be down a bit.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm
King of Spring

I spent the weekend getting ready for the season on my place in Bedford and I did not see a single acorn in the woods. One red oak up by the house was dropping loads, but that tree has always produced in bad years. I have never seen it this bad on acorns.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:47 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Hopefully this will lead to alot of deer movement early for Archery!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:44 am