View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:24 am

Body size smaller this year? 
King of Spring

Post Body size smaller this year?
We ended our rifle season here in Shendoah Co. today. Got a few this year, but the numbers were greatly down as compared to the past few years and the body size was also down. I'd say the deer are 15 percent smaller then in previous years and also they are showing ribs and have zero fat inside the chest cavity. Wondering if the entire state body size is down or just in the upper part of the shen valley. PS. I asked our local processor in Strasburg and she said the deer coming in for processing are much smaller on average as compared to last year. Thoughts?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: Body size smaller this year?
I didn't notice any difference, but I would not be suprised if continured drought didn't impact body weights and antler size. Actually, I did shoot one very mature doe with a large body but her ribs were visible, which I took to be the result of stress from the drought.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:43 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I didn't notice any difference. One I got on the eastern shore had more fat then any deer I have ever seen.
Didn't think you were hit that bad with drought. It might be the area was at carrying capacity or beyond. Then when a bad time hits it really hits and hurts the herd. We faired pretty well here.

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:44 pm
King of Spring

The deer population is down big time west of the blue ridge. We didnt have much of a drought on this end of the state but what deer have been killed they claim they are above average on weight.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm
King of Spring

Noticing about average deer weights being checked in. We have noticed a couple that may have survived Hemorrhagic disease and of course the weight was down some on them for their age. But we have not heard of any deer being found dead in any of the areas. Thats not to say that maybe just a few were effected over the summer.

Earl

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:41 pm