View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:24 pm

Westmoreland County Area 
Jake

Post Westmoreland County Area
Some time later this fall I will be relocating from NC to the Westmoreland County/Montross area. How is the deer hunting in this area? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:37 pm
Longbeard

Post Re: Westmoreland County Area
Plently of nice deer taken in Westmoreland every year, lots of rural farm land. Most of the land is leased by dog hunting clubs though. There are several public land opportunities within an hour (FT AP Hill, Dahlgren Navy Base, Petigrew WMA, Mataponi WMA and the Rappahanock Refuge hunts all come to mind.

FT AP Hill is probably your best bet, over 70,000 acres with plenty ofdeer and turkey, hit me up if you need any info on APH.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Westmoreland County Area
pretty good hunting, although later in the fall deer will have been pushed so hard by dog hunters they'll be nocturnal moving early and late. I live here in montross as well if your miltary dahlgren your best bet big bucks on that base strick rules let's em grow big there nice trophys taken off that base every year. Ap hill has alot of land and is about 45-50min drive. Ap hill i seen before joined one year you have to be there 0400 in the morning to get lined out in a good spot they'll be 75 hunters waiting as well but again they have thousands an thousands of acres.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:47 pm
Profile YIM