View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:46 pm

scope question?? 
King of Spring

Post scope question??
I know I have talked to u guys about me getting a ruger 10/22 carbine for Christmas, well I did but I have a question about the scope I put on it. I put a bushnell on it, that has been used before, got it mounted by a gunsmith, and a semi bore sight was done ( I was not happy with how he did it but whatever). Anyways I got it on paper at 25 yds, and then got it in a little closer but it kept shooting down and to the right about an inch both ways. Well I adjusted several times and it wouldn't adjust, finally got it to adjust and moved it to 50 yds and sure enough, down and left again. Now is it the scope malfunctioning, or....... I noticed when I came in the screws for the mount could be tightened quite a bit. It wasn't loose, but the driver turned several times on all 4 screws. Is that the reason it didn't adjust, or is it the scope. Help please?????

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:53 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: scope question??
yes that was your problem i would say. the mounts have to be tight. i have locktited mine before. let us know. thanks denny

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

On some scopes the spring in the adjustment will be slow to move and then move big. Try tapping the adjusting knob/screw with your coin a few times after every adjustment. Your mounts do need to be tight but you can strip em if you use to much leverage and always tighten each equally as you go. good luck

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:06 pm
King of Spring

Went to a gunsmith and he didn't tighten the screws, yikes. BD makes a good point the adjustments are held in place by springs and sometimes they don't like to shift, especially on a inexpensive scope. Also, I quit buying Bushnell scopes, have had to many problems with the moderately priced ones. Set yours on a bench and move your head behind the scope. I have had mine float the crosshairs all over the place. That is called parallax. It is usually set to have no parallax at 100 yards but if a shotgun or 22 specific scope it will be less, either 75 or 50 yards. I had one that was absolutely unbelievable, wouldn't use it as a shim to level a broken couch. My favorite 22 scope is a Simmons 22 mag. Also Leupold and others make good scopes for 22s.

Hope you get it worked out.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 am
Longbeard

If you ask a lot of the experts they say that 22 auto's are the hardest guns on scopes. I agree with Vic about Bushnell inexpensive scopes thier quality is not very good and they have a problem with the parralex on these scopes. I have in the past screwed the adjustments all the way down and back up and the re bore sighted to make adjustments work. Also on the Ruger 10/22 they are sent from the factory with a heavy coat of oil. I had this problem with mine and it wouldn't shoot until I cleaned this coating out of the barrel my gumsmith informed me of this after I took it back. It drills holes now.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:35 pm
King of Spring

Hey guys I just want to thank ya for all of the input! I took the advice, stayed with the scope tightened the screws down, never made a single adjustment. No joke, 3 shots at 25 yds. Within a quarte size circle. Shot 5 shots at 50 yards, all but one within a nickel size circle (I know that sounds weird but it got better! ) brought it back to 25 and shot 12 shots, all within a dime size hole!!! I think its on what do y'all think!!! Lol its amazing I made no adjustments except tightening the screws better than what the gunsmith did!

Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:51 pm
King of Spring

kind of what i thought. sounds like you have it line up now..great job. thanks denny

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Glad it is shooting good. One other thing, I bought CCI Velocitor ammo. I was shooting nickels size groups at 50 yards. The performance of this cartridge is great too. I think it is 1400 fps with a 40 grain bullet. That is near 22 mag specs. So it is hard hitting and accurate, tough combination to beat. Don't know your intent but if varmit control they work well. :D

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 am
King of Spring

Eww great adviice on the ammo, I wondered what would be more of a magnum type round! Thanks!!

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:45 pm