View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:26 pm

ruger 10/22 
King of Spring

Post ruger 10/22
Since this is the most active board at the moment, I need to ask you guys a question. I may be getting a ruger 10 22 rimfire rifle this Christmas, and I have been doing some checking, but to you guys, is this a good rifle? And I have checked into the tactical conversion kits, do you guys have any recommendations? I am using the rifle for squirrels, maybe predators ( bobcat in particular), target shooting and ultimately home self defense!! Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: ruger 10/22
I have one and it's definately a good rifle. I have not used it all that much. Great squirrel gun. I got an after market magazine that holds 50 rounds and it was a piece of junk. It pays to research the add ons before buying.

I would be looking for a .22 mag or thereabouts for bobcats, and definately wouldn't want a .22 for home defense.

Last edited by Neill on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:28 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I have other alternative means for home defense!! But you know the saying, the more the merrier!! (Not sure bout the spelling but you get the drift) lol!!

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:32 pm
Longbeard

You definitely want to clean it frequently if you shoot the cheap bulk ammo through it it will jam on you. It is a great gun and very accurate out of the box ive found with mine. Neill has a great point, be cautious with aftermarket parts for this gun but that goes for all aftermarkets parts and magazines. Hope you enjoy your new piece!

Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:39 am
2 Year Old

Great little guns that you can trick out to your liking. If you want to know anything about them, you'll find it here:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

If you scope it, I recommend sighting it in dead-on at 20 yards...and I mean dead-on! It'll be deadly to 55 yards, either 1/2" high at max. to 1/2" low at 55. This will also leave you just over 4" low at 100 yards.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

I agree, great guns! :smt003 I have a plain jane K10-22 that I bought years ago that I have left as stock. It is super accurate though the trigger could use some help. I do plan on buying another one day to trick out. The 10/22 bug can be a dangerous one as most people can't stop tinkering once they start :lol:

The link to Rimfire Central is a great suggestion. An excellent forum for all things rimfire including the 10/22.

Another link I like for 10/22s is http://www.hornetproducts.com/ Kind of my dream catalog for Ruger rimfires :smt003

I agree that I would look for better medicine when it comes to bobcat.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:00 am
Profile WWW