View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 2:24 am

BH209 Burns me again.. 
King of Spring

Post BH209 Burns me again..
I am a slow learner that is for sure.. I clicked 3 times last year on a good thick 8 point and swore I would not use it again.. well after researching and talking to others on here and elsewhere.. I was convinced that it was the primer that was the issue.. so I got some CCI Magnum primers and shot it last February in 20 degree temps after it sat in the truck all night to make sure it was good and cold and it fired no problems.. sighted it in back in Sept. again no problems..

Well today a nice Wide 8 point.. probably a 130 inch deer steps out at 50 yds and I grunt to stop him and pull the trigger.. primer fires deer spooks I jerk expecting the kick.. and 1 second later the charge went off.. I went to make sure a few hours later, but it was a clean miss over and behind him I am sure..

Man this sucks.. I know I said it before .. but this time I swear on my truck that I will never shoot that stuff again.. back to the 777 pellets I go..

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: BH209 Burns me again..
Randy sorry for your bad luck but feel sure you will connect on one soon!!

Doug

Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:34 pm
King of Spring

Randy,

Glad you just provided this report. I was thinking about trying BH209. Glad I still had some 777. One thing you might try is poured powder rather than pellets. If you really want to get anal weigh each charge rather than volume measure. Have a friend using his reloading scale and he is getting incredible accuracy. When you weigh by volume there is inconsistancy using the scale takes that away. I just use my BP powder measure and call it a day. A long shot for me is 80 yds. So simple measure works fine. I know you shoot on that airfield and have some really long shots. I have had a lot of friends go away from the pellets because of inaccuracy but when they went to poured powder groups came together nicely.

Well I am sure that 8 will walk in front of you again. Good luck next time.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 am
King of Spring

It may work fine for you vic.. I think it is a combination of my gun and that powder.. TC encore pro hunter.. most everyone else loves the stuff and has no issues.. but I think they shoot a different model gun..

This is my only week to hunt this year.. so I sure hope him or another one gives me a chance .. I slammed a doe this morning with the 777 pellets.. up a tree right now as I type this :-)

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm
King of Spring

Think I will stay with 777. Seems to work well. Wish it was less smokey. It is nice to see where they run.

I shoot a TC Omega, so similar system to the Encore. Keep my fingers crossed for you. Only week? Man I need way more than that to keep my sanity.

Taking my son to the Eastern Shore for youth hunting this weekend. This will be the first time he is the trigger man. Must say I am getting excited.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:44 pm
2 Year Old

Are you snapping a primer or two to dry out the nipple and barrel before you start loading? If so, I am glad I did not buy BH209 powder this year.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:38 pm
King of Spring

Rick wrote:
Are you snapping a primer or two to dry out the nipple and barrel before you start loading? If so, I am glad I did not buy BH209 powder this year.

shouldn't have to do that with a shotgun primer. Old style caps, yes I did it every time. Haven't had a problem in the 6 years I've been using shotgun primers and haven't done it once.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I do always snap a primer .. maybe I got a bad bottle, or it just does not like my gun.. I don't know.. but one thing is for sure.. it has cost me two nice bucks in two years .. one at 75 yds and one at 50 yds .. I will never use it again..

Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm