View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 2:22 am

wheres the deer? 
King of Spring

Post wheres the deer?
Been off work since the middle of October and this seems to be the worst year I've ever had for finding deer. What few acorns we had early are gone. Very little buck sign. I hunt national forest but even my buds that have prime farmland are having a hard time finding a Doe. Been a couple of decent bucks killed. Anyone in the southwest part seeing rubs or scrapes? Any acorns in Giles, Franklin, Floyd area? Been hunting bland, wythe, smyth, grayson, and tazewell. Logged close to 40 miles of walking and nada. Thinking about heading further east if there's acorns or even heading to Ohio since I don't go back to work till after thanksgiving. It's been tough that's for sure. One good thing is I have seen several grouse this year and seen a red fox today way back in the mountain. First one I've seen in probably 10 years.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 pm
King of Spring

Post Re: wheres the deer?
Apparently in everybody's elses truck lol I'm with u bud its been a tough year and its barely started lol

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:44 pm
King of Spring

I have been seeing some up here in MD. Most of my friends have a few on the ground me included. Don't know what is up there, up here the acorns were everywhere. That made the deer move less and provided less sightings. So we had to go find them.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:28 am
Longbeard

Here is Patrick county its tough to see a deer. Seen some nice rubs and good scrapes being hit regular. But with the moom phase and warm weather in the middle of peak breeding, good luck seeing alot of activiity during the day.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:11 am
Boss Gobbler

I was hunting in your neck of the woods on Tuesday turkey_slayer. Hunted the Hunting Camp Creek Wilderness area. Sign was down but I saw several deer, one shooter buck but could not get a shot.

Good luck to you this season!

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I'm glad you saw a few in Hunting Camp Creek. My friends that are hunting the east end of the area, near Consol's property and Round Mtn., report that the deer sightings have been awful. It's good to know there are deer in there somewhere. Here in my neck of the woods the deer are on the fields. Plenty of white oaks early, but those are long gone. Key on high quality browse or fields with good clover.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:37 am
King of Spring

Finally found some! Seen 9 friday with one being a hoss but cld not get a shot. Went back today and seen 11 and another big one and a 6 six pointer. The big bucks were cruising and the 6 was behind a doe grunting but not pushing her. There eating beech nuts. Still no scrapes or rubs but I guess visual confirmation is better :smt003

Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:28 am
King of Spring

I've been covered up in antlerless this year...lost count yesterday and dropped a couple in the afternoon. Only seen a handful of small bucks and no shooters yet. Except going down the drive after dark.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:04 pm
Profile WWW