View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:20 am

What's your favorite rut stand or spot? 
Longbeard

Post What's your favorite rut stand or spot?
Time of year, wind, weather, funnel, saddle, close to a bedding area? Any details you are willing to share. What has been the most productive for you?

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:27 pm
Poult

Post Re: What's your favorite rut stand or spot?
Mid-November, 40's temperature range, dry day (hear deer running thru dead leafs), and funnels all day long. Wind doesn't matter when you're in a stand 15ft or more. Funnels that are a thin patch of woods (less than 100 yards wide) that connect larger portions of timber together. Every year I set up on the outside edge of the funnel with a solid shooting lane and I always seem to do well.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:37 pm
King of Spring

In general I hunt it pretty much like the rest of the season. I focus on pinch points or funnels. Prefer cold no rain days. My personal preference is hunting holly thickets. I think the deer feel safe in there because they have leaves year round. Laurel thickets are great too. I might hunt in the middle of these but usually focus on the edges.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 am
Longbeard

I just hunts the MTN's so it a draw on where they will be from day to day. I hunt mid mtn and try to catch the bucks moving from one thicket to another. Then I hunt close to food plots in the evenings trying to catch the bucks rigth at dark tailing the doe's. Mtn hunting is so fustrating.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am
King of Spring

I like hunting food sources i scope out the field edges at the edge of dark and see were the deer funnel out of the woods and go in an set my stand about 40yards in and 40yards of the there trail.

Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:47 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

2 mountain tricks I learned long ago. 1. First Shelf. What I mean by this is the first pretty flat ground off the ridge of a mountian. Just below a lot of mountain ridges there is a flat ledge that drops off again in 50 or so yards. Deer like to travel and bed on these. In the past I have had luck on them. 2. If you have a friend, go into the woods together and find a spot for you or the other to set up. Deer know something is there, but they can't count. Once the person, you or the other is set up, person number 2 leaves. The deer will hear something come in and leave. They don't know one was left behind since they can't count. It has worked on several ocasions for me and I haven't used it too much.

I wish I could hunt the mountains more but live in mostly flat land. Hunting swamps and such is another story.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:06 pm
Boss Gobbler

I like hunting the saddles and natural funnels in the national forest mountains where I know that does travel, great places to find a buck cruising.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Poult

Ive been hunting since i was about 8 and now age 24. In my experience while hunting either mountains or farm, the higher and thicker= better hunting/bigger bucks. Sags or flats are preferable close to a thicket.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:15 pm