View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:36 pm

Minerals for deer 
King of Spring

Post Minerals for deer
Do you guys put out minerals for deer over the summer?
We've been using Trophy Rock and the deer love it. It's a little expensive but it's great to set a trail cam on.
What do y'all use?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:03 pm
Boss Gobbler

Post Re: Minerals for deer
I started a mineral lick last year for Dad. I used 8 pounds of pickling salt and a bag of Black Magic Deer powder. About 6 months later I added another bag of Black Magic and 4 more pounds of pickling salt. Deer are tearing it up.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

We have alway used Lucky Buck. We get it at a discount from the manufacturer at the big hunting show they have up in PA every year. The deer love it.

Ryan

Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 pm
Longbeard

Road salt..

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:41 pm
King of Spring

I put out a coupel trophy rocks. Also a friend gave me a bottle of Tag-Out. Deer are hitting the trophy rock good. Haven't checked the tag-out for a while. Don't want to disturb the area.

I guess road salt would work. I like trophy rock because it is easy to carry.

Vic

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:30 pm
King of Spring

I have started using the cheap Livestock blocks from Southern States.. and they seem to work just as good as the Trophy Rock to me.. can get them for about $3 when the rock is like $15 got just as many pics over the summer on them as I have on the rock in the past.. just saying.. :)

Take me Home Country Roads.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:44 pm
Longbeard

Barry,
I have had the best results with the bags of trace mineral salt from tractor supply. I think the QDMA recommends the balance of trace minerals that these bags have, and through personal checking they have higher concentrations of the good stuff than most of the deer products. Also, it is more affordable than buying wildlife products. I will admit that I have topped off new licks with "Black Magic" and that seems to be an instant draw to get them started. My $0.02

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 am
King of Spring

Only problem with loose minerals is in VA you can't have attractants out during hunting season. The blocks allows us to remove them.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:02 pm
2 Year Old

I was told at my brothers hunter's safety course that the areas are still considered baited even if you pull the blocks. Something about the minerals that dissolve into the ground. The game warden even said that they can go as far as testing the soil for the minerals. I don't know if I believe all of that but whatever. I am all about starting a lick and giving the deer a little something extra to help does with fawn development and the bucks with their antlers.

I've put out a trophy rock and some of the new crush powder and the deer really liked them both!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 pm
Longbeard

Barry,
I am pretty sure the blocks of the same trace minerals are also for sale at tractor supply. My licks are located prior to my stands and a ways off so a deer passing me by would be coming from the licks. One thing about minerals licks, the QDMA has researched and found that deer don't visit them very often during peak hunting times, but their instincts crave them during winter and spring when they need the additional nutrients for recovery and growth. The minerals help substantially with fawn and milk development as well as horn growth.
While we are on the subject, what's the general feelings on legalized baiting? I'm indifferent, but I will say Ted Nugent made some pretty good points on one episode of "Spirit Of The Wild" on the topic of baiting. Let's say you have a cluster of white oak trees on your spread and you traditionally mash deer feeding on them every fall. Or what about planting a biologic food plot and shooting a deer feeding in it or on their way to feed? I dare say that no one on this board would have a problem with either of the two mentioned situations. How is this different than having corn on the ground under your stand? We try to catch deer in their feeding patterns so I really don't see the big deal over baiting. It's not like the deer aren't still wild and hard to draw an arrow or bead on them. What are the thoughts of others?

Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 pm
2 Year Old

my thoughts on baiting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6pjkaeTeU

Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:55 am
Longbeard

Gotta like the Nuge man telling it like it is.. Especially liked the part when he said that Fred Bear shot his mule in the head for bait for a grizzly bear.. If that aint bad ( edited) i dont know what is..

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Longbeard

Thanks Chuck. I'm glad I got to see that. Hard to argue with old whack and stack himself.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:15 pm
King of Spring

chuck wrote:

I wondered if he shared that little ramble with the officers who tagged him with poaching out west?

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Neill wrote:
chuck wrote:

I wondered if he shared that little ramble with the officers who tagged him with poaching out west?

knowing ted he probably did and if he didnt he should have. i certainly aint gonna hold it against the man thats done more for the sport in one week than most will do in all their lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVDcJ5930B4

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm