View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 am

distance ?? for you guys!! 
Longbeard

Post distance ?? for you guys!!
i have a couple questions for you...

first?.... my wife got me a brand new knight wolverine 209 muzzleloader for christmas... what do you guys think is the best bullet for this gun... and if you know?? how good does it shoot at what distance...

my next ?? for you is..

i shoot a 300 wthby vanguard.... the gun will only shoot wthby bullets.. i have hunted with this gun for 4 years now.. and have killed several deer.. however.. i have yet to find the best bullet.. and/or what grain bullet. ( 165/185 ) whatever... what is the most accurate!! any thoughts!!..

Tue May 17, 2005 2:50 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

The only bullet I would use is the 50cal. Power Belt Bullet. It is full caliber size and goes in easy, not at all like the strain you get with Sabots, (which only gives a 45 cal. projectile).
I also use the Pyrodex Pellets for powder (2 50 grain). I haven't used loose powder, but the pellets are clean and easy to insert.
I have only shot it at a target at about 50 yds. It was definitely on the money at 50.
My gun is a Knight Wolverine. I bought the conversion kit so that I could use the 209 primers. Glad I did, it gives a much hotter spark. I have never had a misfire with them. You should really enjoy the gun, it is a fine one!

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue May 17, 2005 6:54 pm
Boss Gobbler

I don't have a Knight but have had great success with Hornday SST's or the same bullet by Thompson Center called the Shockwave. I shoot both in 300 grains with 80 grains of Triple 7 in FFG. I'm getting 3 shot 3/4" groups at 100 yards with this setup.

Dale started using the Thompson Center Shockwaves in 250 grain this year in his Knight. He was also getting some nice groups with this bullet.

Each gun, including the same make and model will like something differnt. The only way to find out what your gun likes is by hitting the range. Which can be fun all on it's own :wink:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Tue May 17, 2005 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I originally set up my TC Omega to shoot 370 Maxi-Hunters for elk. I was going on an elk hunt in Colorado. This projectile with open sights and 100 grains of Triple 7 shot 3 inch groups at 100 yards. I like 777 because it cleans up with water. I was obtaining about 1650 fps and this would easily knock an elk down at 100 yards. When I got back from CO without an elk I had to rework my gun for Whitetail. What I decided to do was just use the same charge with the 350 grain Maxi-Hunter. The Maxi-hunter was specifically designed for light skined game, whitetail. I shot 3 deer with it this year and 2 were bucks. All were one shot kills. Most of the deer I shot looked like they were hit with a high velocity golf ball, Very impressive wound channel.

The power belts and others are good bullets. Only problem I have heard with Power Belts is minimal penetration. I have had friends shoot deer and the bullet stayed on the surface. I also had a friend using one of Knight's sabots and he shot a nice buck and the deer almost didn't even flintch. He hit it square at 40 yards and it was a lethal shot but the deer walked 50 yards and laid down. He shot it again and it finally fell over but he was real nervous about the deer getting away. He now shoots Maxi-Hunters.

I don't think the 350 grain MH is good past about 125 yards but up to that range it is lethal. I like to have a good wound channel just in case I don't get a perfect hit on the deer. I have seen a lot of the other projectiles not penetrate clear through the deer and when shooting from an elevated stand the exit wound is very important for tracking.

That is my 2 cents from my experience. I am sure there will be many others.

Vic

Wed May 18, 2005 11:39 am
Jake

I have a knight wolverine, a knight bighorn, a knight mk85, a knight predator and a knight disk rifle. They all shoot good with 90 to a 100 grains of 777 ffg and a 250 gr xtp in a knight high pressure sabot. I buy my bullets by the hundred they are the 452. and then buy the sabots to match the bullet in bags of 50 and put them together.

I fire a few caps to clear the oil and then load and fire my first shot I swab with a spit patch and follow it up with a dry patch before reloading.

The knight is 502 bore and has shot best for me with the knight sabots because they are made to fit that bore.

Im sure there are many other loads that will shoot good out of your gun though.

Good luck setting that new gun up and holla at me if you have any questions.

Im working on setting up a new encore 50 cal now and it is looking promising with 100 gr of 777 ffg and the 240 dead center and the 250 shockwave.

I had good luck with the 250 shockwave last year out of my omega as far as bang flops and accuracy go.

Fri May 27, 2005 6:40 pm
Jake

readytorumble I have killed a couple bucks up to 150 yards on broadside shots with the xtp. With 100 grains of 777 ffg the xtp when it is sighted in dead on at 100 yards will typically be 3" to 4" low at 150 out of 24" inch or better barrels. The xtp has the aerodynamics of a trashcan lid and if you are planning on shooting much past 150 a more aerodynamic bullet may serve you better. iisabigone

Fri May 27, 2005 6:46 pm
King of Spring

the xtp blackpowder bullet that "iisabigone" mentioned is very good! It flies true and is shot in a many a muzzleloader with success!

and for the weatherby, i personally would go with the 165 grain!

Tue May 31, 2005 11:48 pm
Poult

Post what to use in the 300 wby mag
I and my brother each have one of those rifles. mine likes 180 grain ballistic tip and you will find out that these are expensive so that is part of the reason i reload mine , the 1 inch group at 100 yds is what mine will do at 200 yard with relods now but it took a lot of playing with powder charges to atain this. mine also like 220 round nose factory remington ammo , but i dont like the bullet it does good in brush but for long range is to heavy and slow . I also found that by backing my powder charge down a few grains improved the accuracy , also have some one adjust your trigger down in lbs . it will improve your accuracy. and a recoil pad like the decelerator from pachmayer will ease the punishment on your shoulder. just my 2 cents .

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:41 am
King of Spring

Like Scott said, I started using 250 grain Hornady SST in my Knight Wolverine this past year. I use two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. I settled on this setup after trying about 10 different bullet types. I used to use Knight's saboted lead bullets in 270 grain and they shot pretty well. WIth the Hornady bullets, I'm getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and would probably do better with a better marksman!

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:24 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

thanks to everybody who has posted and offered insights!!..

i think this summer.. i'm gonna start early and head to the range and get acquainted with my new muzzleloader.. and try what you guys have suggested.. as well with my rifle.. ya know what they say.. practice makes perfect...... i also know that every single rifle shoots different.. but this is a good start to see what i can do!!.
thanks guys!!...

one more question for you guys that may have some more insight.... what would be a good scope for the knight wolverine 209..

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:32 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I have many scopes I like, one of my favorites is a Burris 2X7 compact scope. I think they make one similar for MZ. One I wouldn't get though is a Bushnell Banner, 1.5X4.5 MZ scope. I have tried this scope on severl guns and it just has horrible parallax error. It shoots dead on as long as you have your head right behind the scope. However, anytime I have to shoot off center I miss. I have other Bushnell scopes that work fine, but this one has been a big disappointment. Actually one of my favorite inexpensive scopes is made by Simmons, very clear and easy to set up. There are a lot of good ones out there all depends what you want to spend.

Vic

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:47 am
Jake

I have used many different scopes over the years. However, the last 5 scopes I have purchased for my rifles are Leopolds. All my backpowder guns wear a vari x II or vx II. Make sure you tape up the scope of use a scope cover when shooting the wolverine so the scope wont get burnt from the blowback.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:40 pm
King of Spring

Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:21 pm
Boss Gobbler

I bought a Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 last year for my .308win. I have been really impressed with this scope.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 pm
Profile WWW