View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 11:50 am

What Pistol Would You Use for Deer Hunting 
King of Spring

Post What Pistol Would You Use for Deer Hunting
Those of the board members are familiar with me will probably laugh at this post, as I'm pretty vision impaired. But here it goes anyway. If you were going to hunt deer with a pistol, what pistol would you purchase and why?

Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:42 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

Since you and I have discussed this in person a bit :lol: I'll still throw my two cents in :wink:

I have had two "dream" deer pistols in my mind for awhile.

The first would be a T/C G2 Contender. I would want a 12" barrel and the caliber would be the hardest choice. Proably something exotic like the .414supermag. Why? Versatility, Accuracy, Strength and I love my Encore. If I was to go with a common caliber it would proably be the .44rem mag. A great round that can be loaded from .44spcl up to some very stout magnum loads.

I would put a fixed power scope on it, most likely 2X.

My second gun is a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Laminated stocks and stainless steel frame/barrel with a 7" barrel. Accurate and strength. That and I'm a big fan of single actions. Caliber choice would be differn't though. Proably .45colt or .41mag. I really like both calibers. Both can be loaded very mild and in the Ruger very stout. I would put a 2X scope on it for sure.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:45 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

I am partcial to the .50BMG round chambered in revolver myself.Any deer with in 60 yds of you will have a heart attack from muzzleblast so accuracy or shooter ablitiy to manage recoil are not as important.. :lol: JUST kidding!!! :D ................Seriously now. TC is chambering their contender in many fine cartridges that were once only avaliable in a long rifle. Accuracy is great but some have stout recoil. I have heard great things about the Savage Striker bolt action pistols. They are said to be accurate,affordable,and u can get chamberings all the way up to a 300WSM (ouch!) I have a good freind who shoots a TC Contender in a 7x30 Waters. The 7x30 Waters is a Wildcat cartridge that made the leap to the big leagues years back. It is bascially a 30-30 case trimmed back a touch and resized to a 7mm neck. out to 125-150yd it is a sweet Whitetail round. Is a great round for using in close quarters. There are as many choices in handguns and calibers today compared with only a few years ago. I remember when a Ruger Superblack Hawk in 44 Mag was about the only affordable game in town. I own one from the years ago era. I have killed deer with it. My next handgun for deer will be a Savage or a contender... caliber choice is lots harder. But the waters is still hard to beat under 125yd. If I figure on shooting over 150yds I want a long gun anyway. Call me if you want dale I would be glad to disscuss this more.. And Dale........I dont think you wanting to hunt with a handgun is funny... You are just like me.. wanting a good excuse when u miss...LOL :lol: Hope this rambling helps..Merry Christmas

Max

Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:04 am
Profile WWW
Longbeard

I bought a Ruger Superblackhawk in a 44 mag for deer hunting and hog hunting when I was in Georgia. I put a 2 power scope on it and I love it. The Ruger is capable of handling bullet weights to 300 grains, if you ever decide to hunt something more substantial than a whitetail. The problem I have now is that Appomattox county doesn't allow rifles during deer season, so I haven't been able to use it in the past few years. :cry:

Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:40 pm
King of Spring

I am practical if nothing else. I have three guns chambered in .45 ACP. A Sig Sauer that shoots sweet, I also have a Colt Defender (smallish gun),and I have a Springfield Armory GI Model .45. What do you guys think about one of these guns? What do you think about using the .45 ACP round for hunting?

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:52 pm
Longbeard

I carry a ruger superblackhawk 44 mag.....i shoot winchester partion gold bullets.......carry it as a back-up in the mountains...shot a doe with it on a doe day a few years ago at 25 yards.....lets just say.....i didnt have to do any tracking....bullet blew both shoulder to peices and jellied her heart......I personally recomend the 44 in a revolver.......or if you get one of those thompson center pistols id go with the trusty 30-30.......just my 2 cents

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:33 am
Boss Gobbler

I'm guessing the Sig is a P220? Great gun. The .45acp is a great round and I even carried it for duty round for 7 years. However, I would never deer hunt with it. Might shoot some yotes with it at 25 yards or so with some 230 grain Gold dots. :lol:

If you wanted to shoot deer with one of those guns, I would fix the Springfield 1911 up to shoot .45 super and keep my shots pretty close, no more then 25 yards. The .45super express would be even better, but then you would have to either add a new slide and barrel or a ported barrel to your 1911.

Here's some information... http://www.texas-ammo.com/45super.htm

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:58 am
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

I got an old Blackhawk in a .41mag w/ the hammer doctored a little. Open sights. Taken a couple does with it. Sure like the looks of that T/C Tscott has posted up there though!

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:36 pm
2 Year Old

shot a .500 S&W at the vadeer roundup last weekend. Goodness what a hoss! Liked everything but the price tag.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:52 am
Boss Gobbler

Yeah the price is awful stout for the .500mag. Have thought about getting a barrel for the Encore in it, maybe a 12" barrel with a muzzle break. Much cheaper route then going with a S&W revolver, plus you have extra barrel length to help with recoil.

I'll post a pic of one tomorrow that another fellow got on a gun board I belong to.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

You guys are killing me with this. Still haven't found the funds to get a pistol to hunt with this year. All this recent talk has peaked my interest. Too many hobbies and Too Little Money!

Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:37 pm
Profile YIM
2 Year Old

Dale ... I don't hunt with mine exclusively, but I like to carry it on doe days if I already have some in the freezer. It makes for a real challenging hunt. Great fun.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:01 pm
Boss Gobbler

I know what you mean Dale. Was at my cousins house yesterday morning and he was pulling his guns out to show me :shock:

Then I made the mistake at stopping at Custom Guns in Christinasburg. They had a Black Hawk hunter like the on in the picture above in .44mag. Was killing me! :wink:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Here's the picture of the .500S&W magnum T/C Encore....

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:53 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

:shock: WHOA! What a HORSE! Nice gun Tscott!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:40 pm