View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

What type of dogs to use? 
Post What type of dogs to use?
I am in the process of looking for dogs to deer hunt with and these are the first I will have. I have hunted with hunt clubs for a while but i have hit a stage where i want my own dogs. I have been looking and there are so many diffrent hounds. I have seen Treeing Walker coonhound, Blue tick, Redbone, and several other names. All I hear people talk about is Walkers, but are they the same as the treeing walker. Please help before i buy someting I dont want or need.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:17 pm
Fat, Walking are great dogs, but you better be ready to look for them after the hunt. Those dogs love to run and they will run forever. Most hunters today are using tracking collars these days and that's another cost. Big $$$$!! I personally like to hunt beagles. They'er are short legged and will not push a deer to hard. A walker will run a deer across 4 countys before they give up. Beagles seems to be less shy also. walkers tin to be scared and shy away from you. Not sure why . What ever you get , please treat it good. I see too many clubs treat their dogs like crap. I have left a few clubs becuase of this. Good Luck.
Tim

Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:35 pm

Want mine...won't run a coon, but might run a deer

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:27 pm
Boss Gobbler

Good to see you here CharlieDog! I knew you couldn't be giving away my Charlie Dog!! :)

Here's a listing for "Free Deer Dog to a good home"...

Sorry Fat... I really can't help you, know nothing about deer dogs. Maybe HODY, when he gets back on the computer, can tell you a little more.

Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Poult

I am planning to treat them alot better than the ones I have seen in my life time. My wife is on the edge of a animal rights activist so I dont think she will let me treat them bad! Like I said before there are so many hounds I am windering what to get.

Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:56 pm
Profile WWW

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:03 pm
in my opinion there are two types of walkers,treeing and running.treeing walkers are for treeing like coon cats and bear.running walkers are for deer fox and yotes,yes yotes.pick a dog that is best suited for your property,yes walkers will go miles before they give up,the above picture was taken saturday at almost 2:00 and i didnt get those two back until after dark..thank god for tracking systems.its a lot of trouble and a pain in the butt.....but i wouldnt hunt with anything elese.ive always said you cant kill big bucks consistantly with little dogs.you have to have fast dogs that wont give a big buck time to think.he wont make a mistake until he is tired and has his tounge hangin out of his mouth.dont get me wrong there big bucks killed all over the state with beagles, but not slow ones.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:21 pm
these were the two best hounds i have ever coon hunted with,both are dead now but not forgotten.

Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:25 pm
Boss Gobbler

Well the best dog we have is a Bluetick, named Blue. He has a bark that can be heard and understood from other dogs. A few walkers we have are good too. Now we have a few beagles that will run. So the answer to the question is any dog that will run. Now we have purchased many dogs in the last few years and lots of them are duds, so you just have to give it a try. Also if you buy them and spend big $$ get a guarantee that they will run or money back, seriously. Now if you spend $50 or so that is just a chance you take. Good luck, sorry I was not much help. oje big key is that if you get them young handle them and get kids around them, it makes them easier to catch and gives them better mannerisms. Take a good look at Chucks pic as his boy is right there with the dogs, that is wahat you want to see.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:18 am
Poult

Any sugesstion on where to get them?I have had people say the best time to get dogs is after deer season...but my thought is if i had a dog that would run i would not be getting rid of it.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Longbeard

Back where I grew up (King & Queen County), we used dogs all the time to hunt deer. I've hunted with almost every type of dog out there and have found that almost any type of hound will work. The first question is how you plan to hunt them. By this I mean are you hunting in a small group and/or don't have a lot of land to hunt. If the answer is yes, I'd stick with beagles. They'll get the deer moving, but not so fast as to make the shots difficult at best. IF you've got a big group of people of a lot of land, the walkers, redbones and blueticks all work.

We used to buy dogs from people we knew that had good dogs and we almost always bought puppies since we could train them in the way we wanted them to be handled. We also knew the bloodlines of the dogs and saw/hunted with the parents of the pups we bought. That is not always a foolproof plan, but it's a lot easier to get a dog to run a deer if it's been bred to do it than not. Your best bet is to talk to people and see who has really good dogs and contact them. They may be interested in selling a dog or having some puppies to sell or put you in cntact with someone who does have dogs for sale. I've also noticed that if the dog lasts through hunting season and the person isn't actively looking to sell it, it probably is a good hunting dog.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:09 pm
you can get good dogs from bear hunting counties this time of year cheap or for nothing.Dogs that run deer are no good here and people dont like to feed them long.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:10 pm
rh is right,bear dogs that run deer are no good,and most bear hunters will give them away if they can.like hody said start with people that have good dogs and ask about guaranties.if the dog is worth his weight in dog food the owner usally will offer money back,or exchange,now thats a broke dog already running,and you will pay for it anywere from 200.00 to 500.00.puppies are diffrent,make sure they come from a strong mom and pop.its alot easier to start a pup if its in his blood to run.check with me this spring i may have a few pups comming.keep in mind its alot easier to start a pup if you can run him with a broke dog,dont try to start a whole pack of pups at one time,it dont work,in my opinion never try to start more than three pups at once.also be picky,if your gonna buy a broke dog,or one that is suposedly broke be real picky,makes sure for your money that dog does exactly what you want,some guys have only one or two jump dogs and the others are just pack dogs...dogs that realy dont hunt hard just join in after the chase has started,or what i call a mooch dog.dont buy a plain old pack dog,most mooch hounds wouldnt know a deer if it bit him on the rear,they just jump in for the ride and make alot of noise,every dog i owne will jump and run by them self with no other help from any other dog.thats what you want.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:48 pm
hody,you dont happen to know a guy named wayne dutty do you,he hunts in your neck of buckingham.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:56 pm
Boss Gobbler

Chuck you made a very excellent point. If you are going to start out you better have a good jump dog. Lots of dogs will "RUN" but after the chase has began. You will usually pay good money for one good dog but it will be worth it.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:11 am