View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:42 am

A fitting end to the season 
King of Spring

Post A fitting end to the season
This fall hunting season has been my absolute worst since I fell from a treestand in October of '94 and came to a most appropriate end Saturday evening on the last muzzle-loader hunt of the season. I decided to hunt the blind that had been the most productive as far as seeing deer this fall and where I sat with Miss Mattie when she took 2 does with her crossbow back in bow season.
At 5 o'clock 2 fawns entered the food plot and were soon joined by 2 big does and another fawn. I was still hoping for a nice buck having passed on the few bucks that I had seen this year. I decided if the 2 does stayed until last shooting light however I would take one of them because I still needed some meat for the freezer.
Light was fading so I leveled the cross-hairs on the biggest doe at a mere 50 yards. She was broadside and totally unaware that a human was anywhere around. With a solid rest I gently squeezed the tension out of the trigger only to hear that sickening sound of the 209 primer going off and not the load of triple seven pelleted powder. I don't know how or where but some moisture had gotten to the powder
As I reflected on what had just transpired I just shook my head and grinned realizing that this was the way my season was meant end.
Let's hope this luck does not carry over to spring turkey season.
Barry

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:11 pm
King of Spring

I know how you feel man.. I pretty much called it quits after Thansgiving this year, for one I was a little frstrated and secondly I just didn't care that much. Seems the older I get the less I care about Deer hunting. I have been in Turkey mode for a while now.

I have hunted twice since Thanksgiving, and one of those times I spooked a shooter while climbing into my stand, that is twice this year that has happened to me, two shooter bucks bedded in high grass out in front of my stand. I have seen probably six shooter bucks amd missed two of them, the others presented no shot.

I have killed three does this year, which is the important thing anyway and our doe season is in up here for another two months, so I may go out again, but I really have no desire to do so at this point. Just wating on April to get here now.

Take me Home Country Roads.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:16 pm
King of Spring

:x Aaaarrgh!! I know that feeling far too well. The muzzleloader has not been my friend . . . sometimes it's your year, and sometimes . . . well, it's your year. Sorry.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:45 pm