View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:26 am

crossbows??? 
Longbeard

Post crossbows???
Does anybody know where crossbows are sold.. for a fairly cheap price!! i know you die hard bowhunters out there are probably not to thrilled with it.. but if anybody in here is like me that cant hit the side of a barn with a regular bow.. this may help give a lil advantage! lol.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:18 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I don't think you can say the words cheap and crossbow in the same sentence. They are pricey everywhere! Where are you hunting? In VA, they are only legal if you have a form signed by a Dr saying you can't draw and hold a regular bow. I have such a form signed, but can't afford the crossbow. Let me know if you find one cheap.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:42 am
Don't buy one yet is not a done deal that they will be appoved by the VDGIF. There was lots of peolpe at yesterday's meeting that were against the use of crossbows. It seems the biggest push is from manufactures.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:46 pm
King of Spring

Post Crossbows
I have a crossbow and a Dr slip....I got mine from Cabela's....just let me say one thing to any future crossbow buyer....get the best ya can afford...when ya order...get the scope as well...ya will want one later if ya don't...a red dot or crosshairs will do the job....hope I don't step on any of you vertical bow hunters toes......ya got to do...what ya got to do...let me add...its's still not an automatic deal using a crossbow....

Sun May 08, 2005 2:52 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I have a couple good Xbows. I fell down my steps and injured my back so it is difficult to shoot a bow. I do have a doctor's slip to, and I hunt in Maryland. Many vertical bow users see this as a unfair advantage but I want to hunt and can't with a regular bow. The only real advantage you get with a crossbow is not having to draw while the game is in range. You still have the same limitations on range and all Xbows I have fired are noisy. I don't shoot beyond 30 yards because I am afraid the deer will start and I won't get a clean kill.

I agree with the other guy, buy a good one and get the scope. I bought a full package/kit that had everthing you needed to get in the game. It cost me $600. That isn't cheap but if you look around on websites you can come up with a cheaper one that way. The bow I got was made by Excalibur. I think they are the most accurate ones out there and they are straight recurve limbs. If you are inside 20 yards I wouldn't shoot at the same target twice, bolts are expensive. Excalibur does make a lower weight model and it is about $100 cheaper. It will still kill any deer out there.

I have seen kits as low as $100 dollars but I don't know of their quality. If money is a real issue I would try to find a good used bow rather than a cheap new bow. I have seen them in bargaineer type flyers and such.

I have done a lot of research on this topic so if you want to chat just let me know.

Vic

Fri May 13, 2005 1:06 pm
Longbeard

thank you for your post!!!>. i appreciate the advice... and maybe one day we can talk about it.. i dont know if the wife is gonna let me invest in one quite yet.. lol. ( spent alot of time and money this spring).. lol. but when push comes to shove... eventually i'll probably get one.... ya know what i mean!!!..

but thankyou for your genorosity.. as well as all of the other posts that have come my way!!>.

Fri May 13, 2005 3:03 pm
Profile YIM

I know exactly what you mean. I have more than I need but not as many as I want. That goes for guns, Xbows, calls, gear, etc... If you get in the market I would be happy to help.

Vic

Mon May 16, 2005 4:00 pm