View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:04 pm

Help please deer hunters 
King of Spring

Post Help please deer hunters
I haven't asked in a while so.....Any of you deer hunters stumbled into any grouse in your pursuits this year? Any help much appreciated!
Bird Dog

Especially within a drive of Charlottesville
Thanks!

Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:57 pm
Bird Dog, Spent most of a day in the Mts. this week kinda near C'ville and by golly I can give you a report. Report = a very few whitetails, but the squirrels were very active. No "Mountain Pheasants" were seen, heard or smelled ! Sorry dude.

Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:02 pm
Poult

Birddog I hunt in western Nelson almost always flush a couple of birds a year in my walk through the edge of a field. Haven't seen the first one this year. How sad... Sorry I can't help.

Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:47 am
Jake

If you're willing to travel a little bit :D I could show you some great flocks of Sharptail Grouse. I'm just a few hours west of you (by air).
We have been watching them "dance" at their Lek for a decade or so. They come back to the same spot every spring to do their dances and strut around. It's pretty cool. They will split up later, but some are always close.
Here are a couple that aren't with us any longer.

Seriously though, good luck in your search.

Blackhawk

Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

blackhawk, Those are some nice birds for sure! I have been keeping a close eye on the merriams and muleys you've been puttin on here.....very nice. When I get some travelling money together I'll be in touch! :D

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:44 pm
Longbeard

yeah i saw just a few in the mountains this year......not as many as i am use to seeing.....not much food up there for them

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:54 pm
Boss Gobbler

I'm hunting Botetourt county for the first time this year. Have only jumped one grouse all season and one woodcock.

I have been unable to hunt the area I hunt in Craig County this year so no reports for up there and have not had a chance to hunt Bland county this year either.

I have hunted an area on the Montgomerey and Giles county border a couple of times and no grouse. :cry:

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:37 pm
Profile WWW

After spending a couple weeks in the mountains of Highland county I can honestly say that I have no idea where the birds are. I routinely flush several birds while hunting up there but this year nada, zip, zilch.

sorry my friend.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:51 am
King of Spring

Post No Birds
Sad to say, but no birds to report yet this year. Hope to change that in late season.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:14 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Sorry to say, I haven't seen any this fall either. I hunt King William County, and Charles City County. Been pretty quiet in both of those places.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:04 pm
2 Year Old

Last spring while hunting in Botetourt I head one drumming, but have not seen any during my hunts there this winter.

Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:33 pm
Post grouse
Saw several grouse this past fall....AMOF...flushed 5 at one time while muzzleloading season..rite after I saw 5 turkeys....

Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:03 pm
King of Spring

Hey cadman , if you don't mind sharing where were you hunting. You can send me a private message if you want. Thanks

Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:46 pm