View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:57 am

Still Have Antlers 
King of Spring

Post Still Have Antlers
My grandkids went to the Virginia Living Museum here in Newport News a couple of days ago. The kids say many things, but in particular they say deer. As late in the year as it is, the deer still had antlers. Is there something related to being in captivity that would cause deer to keep there antlers this late :?: Do they normally shed in captivity :?: I found it very curious. Any one have an answer :?:

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:59 pm
King of Spring

I've seen and got trailcam photos of wild deer with antlers up until early April.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

We saw a buck in Southwest VA with a rack while leaving for Florida just last week. I guess they are all different.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Several folks I know and trust have seen horns on bucks in the past 3 weeks still

Max

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:51 pm
Profile WWW
2 Year Old

Someone here at my work just told me today that they saw a spike this morining during his drive in.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:02 pm
Longbeard

Post racks on the deer!!
boys!! i think everybody i know that hunts have said they are still seein deer with the horns still on. my boss said that the land owner where he hunts saw a herd of bucks.. no lie.. 8 of them.. all with horns still on their head!!.. at my land in particular.. i'm still seein horns!!.. its weird!! but its definitly weird knowing its going on all over the state!!..

Last edited by readytorumble on Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:26 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

Saw two small bucks last evening on the driveway...still have antlers. Also saw what I am 80% sure was a buck that has shed.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:45 pm
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I have seen a buck as late as the 4th of may (4 points) with a whole rack. While going turkey hunting no less. So new antlers almost push the old off sometimes, plus you have deer born in odd months w/ the pop. we have now.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:53 pm
2 Year Old

we saw 3 bucks at cades cove last weekend that still had their antlers,2 were at least 8 pointers and one looked to be a 10 point.these were far from the road and was looking at them through binoculars.i did see one buck with one of the other 8 points that looked like he had dropped or was maybe a spike,he was a large bodied deer like the other one though.of course like always,saw many many does along the road right next to the fence grazing away,my wife got to within a few feet of a couple at the abrams falls trailhead.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:29 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

"Well dunk my hat and call me Shirley". Heard that on a movie one time, always thought it was kind of funny. I am really surprised. It seems deer everywhere are still sporting horns. I thought antler loss by February was pretty much a given, a fact of life! It appears I was missguided. Makes me wonder though. I wonder if it could be weather related, or because of a good mast crop or some outside factor like that? I'll have to see if I can run down a little more on the subject. Thanks for the reply's guys, I appreciate the input.

"Turkey hunting, when you knock all the feathers off it, is a game of infinite variables, played on a field of unlimited dimension, against an opponent who doesn't know the rules and wouldn't play by them if he did." ...Jim Spencer

Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:57 pm
2 Year Old

didnt John Wayne say that?...lol...i have saw bucks around here in east tn and southwest va as late as late march and even april still have thier horns,i think alot of times the new antlers push the old ones off.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:00 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

A few years ago there was an 8-point in the deer pen at Bays Mountain park. He didn't shed his antlers one year. I don't know if it was because he was in captivity.

Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:19 pm
A few years ago there was an 8-point in the deer pen at Bays Mountain park. He didn't shed his antlers one year. I don't know if it was because he was in captivity.

i remember seeing that buck at bays mountain,i havent been up there in the past 3-4 years,i wonder if they have a different one now?do you remember seeing that very big antlered buck - i think it was a 12 or 13 pointer,back in the early 90's that somebody slipped in the park one night and killed (i think i read that they used a crossbow)and took only the head and antlers,left the carcass?

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:02 am
2 Year Old

rel wrote:

i remember seeing that buck at bays mountain,i havent been up there in the past 3-4 years,i wonder if they have a different one now?do you remember seeing that very big antlered buck - i think it was a 12 or 13 pointer,back in the early 90's that somebody slipped in the park one night and killed (i think i read that they used a crossbow)and took only the head and antlers,left the carcass?

that was me,i always forget to log in!!!!!

Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:04 am
Profile YIM
Longbeard

Hey ridgerunner, I remember the big buck you're talking about. I knew that someone killed it but I didn't know that they used a crossbow. I wish they'd have caught the person(s) that did it.

Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:09 am