View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 am

Successes so far? 
King of Spring

Post Successes so far?
I know there are a lot of really good deer hunters on here so I thought it would be interesting to ask how everyone has done so far this season. How many, what and with what? Any interesting stories not posted yet?

For me:

4 ptr - bow
doe- ML
doe - shotgun

I killed a really nice public land 9 ptr but only after my buddy had gut shot it and I jumped it 3 hrs later trailing it. Counts as an assist I guess.

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:41 pm
King of Spring

doe-bow
doe(ky)-mzl
doe-mzl
7 pt-rifle

Missed a huge KY 10 point with a bow, the first great buck I've ever had a shot at, when I squatted and shot not realizing a strap from my safety harness was caught up between my cable and string. The arrow zinged off and my arm was smacked hard by the string, was bruised something aweful for a few weeks. The buck was startled, but didn't take off. A friend shot him during the rifle season.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:17 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Oh, and thumbs up to you Big Bird for letting your friend tag that nice buck. That is a class act. There was a big story recently in D&DH about how a similar situation ended in a broken friendship after many years.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:20 am
Profile WWW
Boss Gobbler

Congrats to everyone that has had success!

I managed to kill 2 bucks and a doe with the rifle... saw a ton of deer during bow season and had shots at 2 nice bucks with the muzzleloader that didn't connect (most of you know the story)... :evil:

Pictures under the "This is a test of loading images..." thread.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:04 am
Profile WWW
King of Spring

Post Good Season
Killed a doe and a small spike during bow seasons. Haven't pulled the trigger on the muzzleloader or rifle yet. Have had about 4 opportunities to shoot small bucks, but was really holding out for a doe or a real brute. It's been a great season thus far. Lots of deer seen and plenty of time spent with friends afield.

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:55 am
Profile YIM
Boss Gobbler

doe - Rifle

Have really enjoyed myself this season. Have seen a good many deer, a lot of time spent in the tree and hunting with friends. Hoping to enjoy a muzzleloader hunt or two coming up.

"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Post deer
6 point-bow

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:41 am

spike-mzl
doe-rifle
doe-rifle

I have seen a bunch of spikes, some 4 pts, and one six. Let all walk but the one I shot. I did see a really nice buck yesterday but you know it, I had a bow and he was about 70 yards off. Hopefully next saturday he will show himself again.

Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:53 am
King of Spring

12 pt - bow
doe - muzzleloader

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:21 am
Longbeard

9 pointer with the ML
6 pointer with the ML

a beutiful fall jake (which i thought was a hen) with the ML

2 bufflehead drake ducks
5 Drake Mallards

Its been a wonderful year so far......still trying to fill the third buck tag with the rifle......

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:49 pm
Jake

This has been a close but no cigar year for me. Have taken a doe in VA and in PA with rifle, but no bucks. Missed an 8 pointer in bow season, saw a nice 8 in mz that didn't offer a clean shot. In PA's opener saw 3 legal bucks and didn't take a shot at any of them - one running at 80 yards, one just saw horns and head never had a shot at the body, and had the big boy at 150 yards through trees and brush but never really had a clear shot - still re-living this one every day. Another guy got him - big, heavy 8 pointer.

Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:24 pm
Longbeard

i went on another duck hunt this weekend.....as a group we killed 4 mallards....I killed A hen mallard and a big mature drake mallard....my brother killed his first duck..a hen mallard...and my friend killed his first duck a drake mallard....beutiful weekend.....

Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:07 am
King of Spring

Post Final Tally
I ended up with:

1 doe with bow
8 ptr with muzzlebuster
doe with rifle
2 does late muzzleloader

Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:27 pm
nothin for me this year but a small hen.i had such high hopes this bow and muzzle loader season,many great pics of some real nice bucks coming into the season,but nothin paned out. i spent most of m.l. with my son by my side trying to get him his first deer and we got close a few times but he never got to pull the triger.during regular gun season we spent alot of time behind a pack of hounds,always giving my son the first crack at any deer,and he missed a few but there always next year

Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:18 pm
the above post is mine and im not sure why its coming up guest

Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:21 pm