View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:42 pm

Antler King 
2 Year Old

Post Antler King
Anyone ever plant any Antler King food plots? I have heard they are great for both deer and turkeys.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:44 pm
King of Spring

Nope, but I planted biologic this spring and it is growing like mad!!! I'll let you know how the deer and turkeys like it later in the summer/fall.

-Eric

Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:55 am
Longbeard

speakin of that kind of stuff!!.. where do you usually plant that kind of stuff.. can you put it anywhere.... also... how much should you put down...

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:59 am
Profile YIM
King of Spring

I have 2.5 acres here at my house made up of 2 1/4 acres of yard with about 1/4 acre wooded. The wooded piece had a lot of scrub brush so I cleared an area (leaving any real trees) that is about 30x40 yards in size. I limed it with pelletized lime in February while we still had snow so that the lime would dissolve with the snow melt. I then fertilized with 10-10-10 and had a friend disc it using their four wheeler and a small disc. Then I planted it with a normal spreader (walk behind) that you'd use to fertilize your yard. Its been 3-4 weeks since I planted it and it is growing unbelievably fast, particularly these last few nights since we have had rain and very warm nights (60s). I also planted a 10X30 yard strip of clover down the edge of my yard...it is growing well too.

Point being, it doesn't take much land to plant a decent little plot. Provided you can somehow break ground (disc, tiller, etc) you can build a plot by hand very easily as long as it is small and managable. I would guess I have about $75-100 tied up in my plot. If you have a place to plant and can clear a approx a .15-.25 acre or more I think it is worth the effort. I planted late last year and the deer hit my plot in late Nov/Dec. This spring the turkeys were in my plot strutting in April before I replanted so as far as I'm concerned it was definitely worth the effort.

Can't wait to see what happens this summer/fall. I doubled the size of the plot this spring (to the 30X40 size) and planted a couple different things (Biologic Maximum, Perennial Plus, and Clover Plus). Last year my plot was only 15x20 yards.

Good luck if you try it. If nothing else its a fun little hobby and the first time you see an animal in your plot it is very rewarding. My kids help me so its a great way for us to do just one more outdoor oriented thing together in the summer. :wink:

-Eric

Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:59 am