View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Eagles killing deer? 
Co-Owner/Dog Feeder

Post Eagles killing deer?
https://www.wate.com/wp-content/uploads ... 360&crop=1

apparently true

"even after almost a half-century of hunting of the noblest game bird I am going to confess that I am still in the kindergarten; and I doubt if any human being ever acquires a complete education in this high art."
- Archibald Rutledge

Fri May 28, 2021 7:33 am
King of Spring

Post Re: Eagles killing deer?
Up here at APG when the DNR wants to capture a couple eagles for tracking or whatever, they usually whack a couple deer and leave them laying on a field edge. Soon it will be covered with bald eagles. DNR uses nets to capture them, shot over them with small canon. Bald eagles are big eaters of carrion. Though I know they eat carrion, I didn't know they'd take on prey that size. I could see them snagging a fawn, but that deer looks a bit larger. Wonder what killed the eagle?

Bald eagles are very majestic looking birds, and certainly why they were chosen as our national bird, but they aren't exactly the most noble of birds, like our turkey. They are very much a scavenger and eat carrion whenever possible. They talk about the need for non toxic shot for duck hunting, understandable to a point. However, if eagles didn't eat hunters ducks, the problem wouldn't of been as serious. I know many a hunter who called in a duck, shot it cleanly, and had it plucked off the water before the dog could retrieve it.

I don't know about everywhere else, but up here the number of raptors has greatly increased. Bald eagles are not a rare encounter any more. I see them all the time. This certainly hasn't helped our turkey population.............
V

Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!
-Pericles (430 B.C.)

Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 am